Here were the potential titles for this morning.
“Paulie Is An Idiot”
“Stupid Is As Stupid Does”
“Paulie The Alchemist”
“My Teeth Are Fine, My Bike Rack Notsomuch”
Yesterday I brought my bike in to work with the intention of meeting up with my friend Barb so that I could have her husband take a look at it. All things seemed to work out well because I also had a dentist appointment yesterday so I had to drive to work.
I vaguely remembered that my dentist’s office had one of those low-hanging beams used to stop trucks from parking in their lot. When I pulled up I obviously was cognizant of my bike so I slowed down. I noticed that my handle bars hit the bar, but it was mounted with wires so I was able to carefully pull through. However I had forgotten that my seat is positioned must higher than the handlebars. Needless to say at this point, but I didn’t make it. A loud noise came from my roof (one I never wanted hear) as I yanked one corner of my bike rack from the roof of my car. Fuck. Me. I found out that I made (at least) a $78 bad choice as it appears that I destroyed one of the bike rack’s feet and caused some minor damage to the Jackmobile.
Yesterday Paulie The Alchemist turned hiking boots into part for a bike rack. I am a complete idiot. For my next trick…
Living In My Own Bizarro World
Jill correctly led me and the Jackmobile to Barb’s house without incident. Jiven that I call my car the Jackmobile it now seems even more fitting that I’ve chosen the voice of Jill for the gps (get it? Jack and Jill). However, the disturbing part of this naming is that I take Jill’s power plug and insert it into Jack’s receptacle. I know that it has been “a while” for me, but doesn’t that seem backwards?
Welcome to My World…
Tasty China X 3
Tasty China is the type of nondescript name for a Chinese restaurant which sits in a nondescript shopping strip that would make me pass this place ten times out of ten. However, if you find yourself in The Marietta (and my best wishes to you if you do) near Franklin Road and see Tasty China, make all efforts to eat there. Here’s a short list of reasons for doing so…
1) They have no liquor license and they are okay with you bringing in your own alcohol. That’ll save you a chunk of change right there.
2) The woman working there was refreshingly honest. She said they didn’t want a liquor license because it encourages people to hang around and occupy tables on the weekend. She also steered me away from my original entree choice (although I’d still like to try it). And, she admitted that the cook had screwed up and prepared my dish (more about this in a second) with pork instead of beef, and that if that was not okay she’d get me something else.
3) “Spicy and Numbing Beef Roll” — No I didn’t mistype that, it really was numbing. It took me a second to figure out what was going on until I remembered my friend Tony describing the numbing sensation of Schezuan peppercorns before I ingested a pinch a few months ago. This beef roll contains these peppercorns. Yum!
4) #99 — That was the number of the entree I eventually ordered. I think that the description was “Beef with Wild Peppers” (I was drinking wine so I don’t quite remember the description). Even with the “beef” being turned into “pork” (Hey the chef was some kind of alchemist as well!) this dish was fantastic. As best as I can tell it was stir-fried pork with jalapeno pepper strips, seeds and veins included.
5) The portions were large, and since Barb doesn’t eat leftovers I have lunch and dinner already set. Sweet!
Now if I could only get them to relocate inside the perimeter…
ITP Flickr Pic
Also taken on my walk early this week.
I’m pretty sure Betsy (and of course Reese) know where this is, but does anyone else?
Hey Look At Me, I’m Going To A Concert
It seems like it has been forever since I went out to see a show. Tonight I’ll be haunting Smith’s Olde Bar to see the Joseph Aurthur show with Stars Of Track And Field opening.
I am going to bring the camera because with any luck I’ll be able to bring it in without difficulty.
And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal…
Current Mood – okay, but nervous about something that I cannot put my finger on
Current Music – Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Joy Division — “She’s Lost Control”
Website Of The Day – I yammered about food so much today I feel I need a food-related site. No problem, today I’ll send you to The Food Guru. I’ve started downloading his two-minute-long video podcasts and they are pretty decent.
Exercise (b)Log – none
Mode Of Transportation To Work – My car
1) Lose two pounds. (starting weight 200 lbs)
2) Exercise at least five days per week.
3) Read two books, specifically
3a) “722 Miles: The Building of the Subways and How They Transformed New York”
3b) “The Evolution Of Useful Things…”