I remember it all too well. That’s all you will get from me about that today.
Let The Recruiting Begin!
Today marks the Fall college recruiting season. I start my season today right here in our own backyard on the campus of Georgia Tech.
Cook’s Warehouse Assistant : Is It A Raw Deal?
Last night I attended the orientation to become a Cook’s Warehouse Chef’s Assistant. Well, it’s not that easy. I found out last night that I also have to take (read “pay to take”) their Knife Skills course before I can become an assistant.
The selling points of becoming an assistant are that
- I can learn skills and meet people (but I’d be spending 45 minutes before class prepping, 45 minutes after class cleaning, and working through the entire class)
- Every six classes for which I am an assistant I receive a $80 gift card for future classes as a student (which I assume covers two classes)
- I’d receive a 10% discount on Cook’s Warehouse non-sale items (their prices aren’t exactly discounted)
I don’t know… It seems to me that I’d be required to work really hard for little benefit. I’m not getting to really “attend the classes” you work. I am not guaranteed a “taste” of the food I helped prepare (therefore I’d have to eat dinner prior to arriving at the class to make sure that I am not starving by the time it is over).
Two of the interesting “off topic” things I heard last night were
- The guy next to me apparently met Alton Brown at a gas station on his way to the class
- I heard that Julia from Hell’s Kitchen might be one of the “celebrity chefs” at this year’s Taste of Atlanta
ITP Flickr Pic
It’s muscadine season in Atlanta. My friend Ralph mentioned that muscadine grapes were in season in our area. I said that I had never seen muscadine grapes growing here. Yesterday while killing time before the orientation class I found this.
I was tempted to eat one, but wasn’t 100% sure that it was a muscadine vine so I didn’t.
CD Pick Of The Week
If you can’t find something you like in the twenty-four new releases today then just grab your Barry Manilow 8-track tape, get into your AMC Gremlin, and get the hell out of here.
As for me I might be out purchasing the new Shout Out Louds (“Our Ill Wills”) or Black Francis (“Bluefinger”). I might try to give them a listen somewhere first.
And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal…
Current Mood – preoccupied, hence the short post today
Current Music – none
Website Of The Day – I am sure that there are other city transit guides like HopStop present on the internet. Heck, I may have mentioned one or two here.
Exercise (b)Log – none
Monthly Mileage – 4 miles
Mode Of Transportation To Work – Marta
1) Get my first Ruby / Ruby on Rails program written
2) Lose 5 pounds (if at first, second, third, fourth, you don’t succeed….)
3) Take now fewer than three photos a day
4) Listen to (and review) one CD a day in September