Today’s title is a variant of an old joke.
Holy Crap, It’s Christmas Week
And I’ve already been blessed three times.
- I’m now an official iLemming — I now own an iPhone. I even purchased a case for it this weekend, one which appears to have an affinity for collecting lint.
- I did something really stupid in my car Saturday night. I don’t wish to reveal any real details, let’s just say that I hadn’t been drinking, I’m ashamed of myself, and no one got injured. There happened to be an officer there who gave me a sufficient scolding and let me off with a warning.
- Yesterday I was reintroduced to an old friend — a camping chair that I lost at least two years ago at the end of a hash. I remember posting to a hash forum that I forgot the chair in the back of a pickup truck, but no one ever mentioned finding it. It wouldn’t have been hard to identify the chair since I had written my hash name on the back, but for some reason no one ever read the back. And what did I do yesterday? I left it at the ending of the hash.
I will attempt to keep my good will going all week long.
The Night Was Jambandelicious
So my traffic-boneheaded maneuver occurred while I was on my way to Variety Playhouse to see the Dead Confederate / Manchester Orchestra show. I was running late and as it turned out the show was extremely well-attended so I had no hope of getting down front to get a superior shooting location. My camera stayed in the bag the entire show. Getting stopped by the police really put a disturbing spin on the night, which unfortunately removed some of my fun.
However, the night of music was fantastic. There were four, count’em, four bands on the bill. I arrived after the first band had taken the stage, so I grabbed a beer and a chair and made myself comfortable.
The second band to take the stage was Kevin Devine, a musician from Brooklyn (how in-the-moment). Devine is really into his music, which is always nice to see, and he put on a really entertaining set. During a few of his band’s songs members of other bands joined in; the theme for the night was set.
Next up was Athens’ band Dead Confederate. I’ve seen Dead Confederate before so I knew that I would be enjoying their set. What I didn’t expect was for their set to be so short. Unless I am completely wrong they only played five songs.
The headlining band was Atlanta’s Manchester Orchestra. (side note: There was a “Right Away, Great Captain!” disc for sale at the merch table and I did purchase one). I’ve seen and blogged about Manchester Orchestra shows in the past. Although I’ve enjoyed their show each time, this was by far the best performance I’ve seen from them. Lead singer Andy Hull was in fine form and interacted often with the crowd, including making a joke about seeing Death Cab For Cutie at Variety Playhouse when he was sixteen (Andy, if for some reason you read this review note that I didn’t give away the story). As was the norm for the night members of other bands joined Manchester Orchestra on stage, including one ginormous jam-band rendition of the theme song from “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” to end the evening.
I Found One Reason My Energy Bills Are High
Cold air was lightly-streaming through the window frames in my bedroom. No wonder why the room is so cold (in addition to the cold heart of the lone sole who occasionally sleeps within the room). Yeah I know, I should consider replacing the windows in this old house. Guess what, I’ve got a lot higher priority problems to rectify first.
Seriously, You People Need To Learn How To Drink Black Coffee
This morning I stopped into Einstein Bagels to grab a fattening bagel and a cup of coffee for breakfast. With no line at the counter I figured to be in and out in a matter of moments. I was partially correct. With bagel in hand I moved toward the coffee station where I encountered people hovering around perfecting the coffee/milk/sugar ratio, as slowly as humanly possible! Even worse, some of these people would drink some of their coffee and then refill! Seriously, either learn to fix your coffee quickly and leave, or learn to drink it black. Denying others from their morning fix of caffeine might be one of the best way to get whacked.
And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal…
Current Mood – good, even considering all of my problems.
Current Music – listening to the LightSource Photography podcast
Website Of The Day – Jonesing for some Christmas video? Fanpop’s list of Christmas videos which can be watched online might be of some help.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – Sunday = hashing, 3.5 miles
Foot Mileage – 11.5 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 22 (22)
Vegetarian Days – 11
Carnivorous Days – 10
Marta Rides – 0
Books To Read To Earn Kindle – 4
1) Lose no fewer than two pounds
2) Drink no soda
3) Run no fewer than 50 miles
4) Completely read no fewer than one book
5) Write at least one program using Ruby on Rails