Some Things Are Super, Others Notsomuch
Yesterday was a fairly long day of waiting for AT&T to install U-Verse service. Needless to say the ITP Estate put up much resistance — I’m not sure if anyone who worked on the house after its construction ever knew what the fuck they were doing! — and after much wire-tapping and head-scratching the technician figured out where he could install the gateway. As it turned out, this was not where I paid to have a new outlet installed (dammit!) as it got installed into the “game room” (where I cleverly hid it once the technician left), but that new outlet was used for the powerline broadband connector which connects the gateway to the data central nervous system of my house.
The U-Verse internet connectivity was/is fantastic! Last night I streamed a movie from Netflix and watched it on my laptop. NEAT! (fwiw – I watched a 2006 indie film called Cashback. I rather enjoyed it, but it definitely won’t be everybody’s cup of tea.)
After successfully reconfiguring my internet connections within the house I called my, soon-to-be-former DSL provider to cancel my service with them. The person to whom I spoke was almost astonished that anyone would ever cancel their service and directed me to a PDF on their website which I must fax to them today in order to execute the cancellation. Unbelievable.
Not all was perfect with yesterday’s installation, however. The phone line contains massive static so I’ll have to have AT&T come back out in order to fix it. I fear that this will be deemed an “inside wire” problem which, by the terms of their service, is not their problem to fix. Anyone know someone who is good with phone lines?
I wish that I could commit to this house for another five/ten years; if so I’d start the sort of major improvements that I planned and should have done when I bought the house eleven years ago. My current commitment to this house is to sell it, though I admit that I might become addicted to super-fast internet connectivity.
A Flickr Pic Of ITP
Something a little different today. This is a photo of me, positioned fittingly in front of a sign which reads “Island of Misfit Toys.”
This shot was taken by ITP-Reader Maigh.
Urban Cannibals is a market of sorts in East Atlanta; they provide ready-to-eat meals and such niceties as locally-produced honey, milk, and bread.
While I’ve known about Urban Cannibals for months I’ve yet to make it there. Perhaps this Scoutmob deal is just the sort of nudge that I needed.
And Tonight For Something Completely Different
Tonight I’ll be dipping my toes into the unknown waters that are the Atlanta iPhone Developers group. The group’s meetings are held at 6:30pm on the third Tuesday of each month in an office building in midtown.
I’ve really been trying to catch on to iPhone development. I’ve been spending a lot of time and effort, but thus far have seen little in the form of results. I plan to soldier on, and perhaps meeting other similarly-committed geeks will help me.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – mixed
Current Music – silence as I get things situated
Website Of The Day – Well I’ll be darned! I just realized that I’ve never picked Scoutmob as a “Website Of The Day.”
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – 202 pounds
Pages Of 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die Read – 52
Foot Mileage – ~4 miles, Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Pushups – 0, Situps – 20
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 16 (16)
Vegetarian Days – 2, Carnivorous Days – 13
Marta Rides – 0
– Not get fired from my job
– Ride my bicycle no fewer than 100 miles
– Get the new LLC movingâ€¦
– Reduce my weight to 185 pounds (starting weight was 198 pounds)
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the JalapeÃ±o Beach SmugMug account I opened the other day.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Enter no fewer than three photographic competitions / gallery showings
– Get the Black Sheep stats out of Excel and online
– Ride in no fewer than two 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Complete my Taco Mac Passport requirement of 125 beers
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in PHP and CSS
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem