Wouldn’t you know that I’d end the first six months of 2010 the same way I started them — missing something that I wanted to do because I was feeling sick. Yesterday afternoon I was attacked by something allergy-related (all the plants through which I hashed on Monday night?) or a Summer cold. All afternoon I sneezed and wiped a runny nose. I attempted a George’s visit, I made it into the Highlands by 6pm, but a quick walk around the block convinced me that it was a better idea to suffer alone than to suffer in public. I’d not have made a good impression on any (young female) that I would have met last night. Related: I’m completely frustrated with the state of my life.
It’s Canada Day, Eh!
It struck me the other day with the announcement of the anniversary of Michael Jackson’s death (a day I remember more as the day Farrah Fawcett died), and it has struck me again today, this being Canada Day. It’s hard for me to fathom that at this time last year I was vacationing in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. A whole year has transpired and I have little to show for it. Also, I am now reminded why I didn’t make any of last year’s July 4th activities. I flew home from Canada on July 3rd and was too bushed to care about our own Independence Day.
Sadly yesterday’s sickness ruined any ideas of attending tonight’s Canada Day hash, though I do love me some poutine.
ITP Flickr Pic
Hashers are everywhere dammit!
I saw this bicycle in the parking garage of the building in which I work as I was walking to my car last night. Oddly it was still there this morning (not oddly because it wasn’t stolen, oddly because I don’t understand why the person wouldn’t have ridden it home.)
Unrelated: This is the first shot that I’ve posted which was taken with the camera in my iPhone 4.
One Good Thing Has Happened Today
I’ve purchased some new music.
This being the beginning of a new month Amazon (more on them in a minute) has posted a new list of one hundred “CDs” which cost only $5 each. This morning I purchased the Broken Bells disc, as well as the last release from the Athens/Atlanta band Dead Confederate.
Not to stop there, I also purchased (from iTunes) the much anticipated initial release from Admiral Radley. Admiral Radley is a joint effort from Jason Lytle (formerly of Grandaddy) and some of the members of Earlimart. I gave the entire release a listen this morning and really liked it (not surprisingly) though will admit that it’s won’t satisfy everyone.
Yesterday Amazon acquired Woot!. You may remember Woot! because I mentioned that I’ve been buying wine deals from them through Woot! Wine. I’m not sure why, I like Amazon and I do a lot of business with them, but the acquisition of Woot! bothers me some, far more than the acquisition of Audible and Zappos. In fact, I was thrilled with the acquisition of Audible because I thought that Amazon would remove the annoying DRM (digital rights management) that Audible embedded in their recordings (fwiw, they have not removed the DRM).
I guess time will tell if my love for Woot! has been lessened by Amazon’s ownership. I hope not.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – sad, I’m not having much fun any more
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – It’s July 1st folks, time to understand that WE ARE NO LONGER IN STANDARD TIME! Having trouble with timezones? Check out Every Time Zone.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – 203 pounds (meh)
Pages Of 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die Read – 77
Foot Mileage – 0 miles, Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Pushups – 0, Situps – 0
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 1 (1)
Vegetarian Days – 0, Carnivorous Days – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– Not to get sick for the entire month (still waiting to accomplish this)
– Not get fired from my job
– Ride my bicycle no fewer than 150 miles
– Get the Sharpened Stone, LLC moving further
– Complete at least one iPhone application
– Completely plan out my August/September Colorado trip
– Reduce my weight to 185 pounds (starting weight was 198 pounds) [update: On July 1 I’ve sadly gained weight; I’m at 203 pounds]
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the Sharpened Stone.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Enter no fewer than three photographic competitions / gallery showings
Get the Black Sheep stats out of Excel and online
– Ride in no fewer than two 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Complete my Taco Mac Passport requirement of 125 beers
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in
PHP and CSS Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem