There are those nights where nothing happens. Last night was such a night, unless you call filling and placing some Damp-Rid buckets around the basement “productive.” (note to self: you need to buy a replacement air filter for your HVAC).
And Somehow I Would Have Been Blamed
While driving home in the rain last night around 7pm I noticed something very odd on one of the streets down which I drove. Specifically the street was Oakdale between North Decatur and The By Way; there are no street lights. Being mesmerized by the darkness I nearly shit my pants when I came upon a bicyclist who was:
- riding in the middle of the road (thankfully riding in my direction)
- wearing dark clothing including a hoodie pulled over his head, which had no reflective material
- on a bicycle with no lights or reflectors
We are both fortunate that I was cognizant of the darkness and as such was driving 25mph, because I believe that is the only reason I was able to not hit him.
Cyclists, and runners too, please be smarter than this. I will share the road with you but in order to do so I have to know that you are there.
Related: What ever happened to the old saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.”?
Tightening The Belt
Man I can’t wait to mean this literally…. Instead I mean this financially. Yesterday I decided that I was not getting enough out of my $25/month Lynda.com subscription so I canceled it. I also decided to scale back my Netflix plan to the “One Disc, Unlimited Streaming” plan thus reducing my monthly bill from $14.99 (as of next month) to $9.99.
Will saving $30/month launch me into financial freedom? No, but I think this is a smart financial move for me for the time being and it allows me the freedom to do something ridiculous like sign up for HuluPlus at $8/month, or get the NHL Center Ice plan for $21/month if I so desire. (btw- I most likely won’t do either, but they are good “for instances”). Or, perhaps consider fixing my plumbing.
Who Shrunk The Sitcom?
As I mentioned last week I’ve finally succumbed and jumped onto the Modern Family bandwagon. In doing so I’ve ripped a bunch of shows from the dvd so I can watch them on my iPad (I watch them all and erase them prior to sending the dvd back to Netflix thankyouverymuch) and have noticed something very interesting — the length of the show is usually only about 20-21 minutes, down from the former standard of 22 minutes. That means that nearly one-third of the broadcast time is commercials. One. Third. Or, 33% if you’d rather. Unbelievable.
In keeping with last week’s theme I am thankful that I own a dvr so that I can skip through all of that consumeristic nonsense.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – meh
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – You know me, I love my crockpot(s). A Year Of Slow Cooking is a blog dedicated to crockpot cooking.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – walking (~1 mile)
Morning Weigh-In – didn’t check
Pages Of 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die Read – 77
Foot Mileage – ~14 miles, Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Pushups – 30, Situps – 150
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 0 (0)
Vegetarian Days – 0, Carnivorous Days – 29
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– Not to get sick for the entire month
– Not get fired from my job
– Ride my bicycle no fewer than 100 miles
– Run no fewer than 50 miles
– Determine the fate of Sharpened Stone, LLC
– lose five pounds
– eat vegetarian at least one day a week
– Reduce my weight to 185 pounds (starting weight was 198 pounds) [update: On July 1 I’ve sadly gained weight; I’m at 203 pounds]
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the Sharpened Stone.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Enter no fewer than three photographic competitions / gallery showings
Get the Black Sheep stats out of Excel and online, completed
Ride in no fewer than two 50 mile or 50K bike rides, completed
Complete my Taco Mac Passport requirement of 125 beers, completed
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in
PHP and CSS Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem