I went for a walk after work last night and when I was done traffic seemed atrocious. I was unable to get Google Maps to show me the traffic situation, so I joined my boss at, wait for it, Chuy’s. Yeah, I go there too much.
Yesterday’s Daily Challenge
Take 10 minutes to tidy up your desk, kitchen table, or countertop.
A chronically chaotic or disorganized space makes it harder to do everyday tasks, making you feel like you’re always running behind. Simply clearing one small physical space can help clear mental space, allowing you to do things more efficiently.
I didn’t get around to this yesterday, but I will today.
You’d Think $15,800 Would Be All-Inclusive
I received a bill last night for the excision of my two cysts. The bill was over $600, of which I owe over $400. I need to add a task today to find out how much, if not all, of my annual deductible I’ve already paid so that I can start to have a clue about medical insurance payments.
Simplify, Simplify, Simplify
I am trying yet again to simplify my life. In order to accomplish this I am trying to get myself clearing out the house again, and will spend some time this weekend researching how to dissolve a Georgia LLC. By the end of summer I expect Sharpened Stone, LLC will temporarily exist no more.
No Walking, No Chuy’s; Farmers Market Instead
Once my confounding 4:00pm is over today I am heading back to EAV for the farmers market. If the moon and stars align I’ll get to see some friends and have a beverage. If not, I’ll head home to do some cleaning and cooking.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – fat; I need more walking and less Chuy’s
Current Music – listening to this week’s “Roderick On The Line” podcast
Website Of The Day – You’d think a blog called Simplicity Is Bliss would be about cleaning, or Zen, or something like that. Instead, it’s technology blog, which for me is blissful.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – walking, ~3.9 miles
Morning Weigh-In – didn’t check, I know that I am too fat
Foot Mileage – 22.2 miles
Wheel Mileage – 43.5 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Days – 3
Carnivorous Days – 20
Pancakes Eaten – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2012
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me — Mindy Kahling
- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man’s Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science — Curtis Ebbesmeyer
- God, No! — Penn Jillette
- The Elephant to Hollywood — Michael Caine
- Here Comes Trouble — Michael Moore
– Lose at least two pounds (net weight loss)
– Completely recover from my sebaceous cyst surgery
– Exercise for thirty minutes no fewer than twenty days
– Not to get sick for the entire month (may be a moot point as of today)
– Eat vegetarian no fewer than ten days
– Watch all of the classes in the 2011 Winter semester of Stanford’s CS193P (iOS Development) course
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5?),
a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Eat more pancakes
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation
Your Daly Addendum In The Comments:
I forgot to mention this funny story. Yesterday I returned home to find a box at my side door. The box was addressed to me and was sent by my mother. She had instructed the Postal Service to deliver the package to the back door, and they dutifully followed her request. Packages in my neighborhood “go missing” (read “get stolen”) so this is great protocol to follow. Stupid me, picked up the box from its safe haven and placed it in a place that was now visible to all — and left it there over night. D’OH!
Luckily, no “enterprising youth” (read “thief”) discovered my gaff and the package was still in my resting place when I headed out to work this morning.
So is the boss just a nice guy to hang out with? Is there pressure from him to go to dinner? Is there pressure from you to go to dinner with him?
A slight tailwind at times last night helped me drill it at a blistering 18.5 mph over to the Senoia beer stop/pizza joint where the mizzus and I enjoyed a pizza and malt beverage.
It was sad to come home to only one horse (equine, not Farley) yesterday. Maxwell Smart has gone to his new home in the Raleigh area. He is the first of various horses that have come and gone though the farm that I felt really attached to, and I never even rode him. I liked Mack, except when he tried to kill me, but I wasn’t that close. I guess we’re in the market for another… give Parker someone to hang out with.
No pressure., we are often drinking partners. My boss is a year older than me and joined the company as an engineer back in my management days. He and I have gone in “divergent” paths, though I am admittedly happier now than when I was in management.
Sounds like a great ride Steve. I’m looking forward to Saturday’s ride (read “I once again couldn’t get myself to do a ride today”).
Maxwell Smart is in the Raleigh area? Maybe Team Raleigh could say hello occasionally. 🙂
I’m back from Dallas, what a clusterfuck. Everybody pointing fingers at other teams and nobody solving anything, crazy.
I am going to try to join you on Saturday morning for a ride, I need some more miles under my belt to say I’m ready for BRAG.
the more the merrier- but just remember – we aren’t going fast… no matter what Sal says….
Meet & try to be ready at 0930.
Bring a chair & a cooler with some beverages & maybe some snacks for after, the little park we are starting at is nice for that.
I need to ride tonight, 2 nights of “dinner parties” is bad for the BRAG training.
Trying to decide to I ride to Kennesaw Mtn, or do I go over to Roswell & try to avoid the Thrusday night riders.
Allan said we will not be doing the 31 miles, so it will be the 48 or 68 – it’s gonna be hot, so it will really be BRAG training. Bring cash fro the Dollar General for more water or gatorade, that is the only store on the 48 route (I haven’t done the 68m so I’m not sure whats on that route)
Good advice. I’ll do the 48 and hang out for a while before returning home to head to the theatre.
As I “work” I’m “watching” this semi-erotic, completely ridiculous Zumba infomercial which is on before today’s Giro stage.
Barb, can you send me the info/address for where you are starting. I’m still undecided…I’d like to start a bit earlier, I also feel like I need to ride with some folks or I’m never getting faster. I feel like I’m stuck in limbo right now as far as my speed goes.
I received my first CSA box of the season yesterday. Lots of radishes, beets, onions and greens…I made kale chips last night, not bad. I roasted some beets, I was going to give them a try…I couldn’t get past the smell. So Paulie, if you were planning on buying beets tonight, don’t, I have plenty you can have.
It looks like I may have some butternut squash in the garden this year…I didn’t plant it but it’s growing (probably from seeds in the compost). That’s a pleasant surprise.
Sosebee Cycling Park
465 Simpson Rd NE
White, GA 30184
I’ll be glad to take any unwanted beets off your hands. 🙂
Martha – the threat of rain worked wonders for my speed Monday night…….
that park has a website & a FB page too.
we should have a decent size group, Allan & me, Sal, Joanna & Mike, and all you all…….. I see a long day of chasing again, but oh well, its good for me, right?
Paulie , Yeah call today…goofing off after being gone all day yesterday.
I’ll try to remember to call you by 6pm today, Willy. If you don’t hear from me, feel free to give me a shout.