I’m due to see a podiatrist today at 8:30am. I’m hoping to find the cause of my foot pain and walk away (pun intended) with a plan for returning to health.
I miss exercising.
Of course, my foot is feeling much better today. It’s just like taking your car to a mechanic, by the time you get to one the noise you’ve been hearing for weeks goes away.
Today’s Daily Challenge
List two things you like about your body.
Many of us tend to focus on the negatives or compare ourselves to others when we think and talk about our bodies. This negative talk – to ourselves and with others – can feed on itself and erode our self-esteem. By focusing on two positive aspects of your body, you can better appreciate what makes you special.
Huh, two things?
Nope, can’t think of any at the moment.
Oh wait, I do like my calf muscles.
I Am Getting Twice The Value
Tonight I will be using my “dinner for two” Scoutmob deal (that expires next week) at The Barrelhouse. Under normal circumstances I’d offer up the extra space to one of my friends, but I think tonight I’m going to fly solo.
ITP Flickr Pic
“Bread And Water”
When I was a child one of the reasons I was told that I did not want to be sent to prison was that all I’d get to eat were bread and water; I always thought that would be okay.
This was my dinner Sunday night, a freshly-baked loaf of bread (well, at least a portion of that) and some “drinking” water.
With the help of my bread machine I’ve learned to make a mean loaf of bread. Now it’s time to take the next step and start making loaves from dough I’ve prepared. Or pizza. Yeah, pizza sounds good.
I Want To Get Away
I am starting to consider vacations and it appears that there will be no “big trip” again this year. I contemplated making 2013 the year I “finally” travel abroad to Europe, but at this time I have no real impulse for doing so.
There is a Amazon Local deal for two nights up in North Carolina (Bryson City) that I am contemplating; it’s a room for two, but that’s no different than a room for one, so a three-day weekend away in July is a possibility.
Honestly, the thing that sort of seems the most appealing to me is renting a house in North Georgia for a month, taking my laptop and iPad and getting away from everything; except there is this whole “job” thing which doesn’t allow me to take nearly that much time away.
Maybe I’ll foot the $4k bill (pun intended again) and take a week-long training class at Big Nerd Ranch in August since my employer seems hesitant to let me go.
Jack Of All Trades
Speaking of Big Nerd Ranch…
On a whim last night I started reading Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X — by Aaron Hillegas; Hillegas is the founder of Big Nerd Ranch.
I’m trying to get an understanding of how programming a Mac is different than programming an iOS device. While the Mac’s marketshare is minuscule in comparison to iOS’ I have this feeling that it would be beneficial to my career to understand how to program for each.
The scary thing? I really like this sort of thing. Computer programming is really the right career for me.
Fun Fact: The foundation of Cocoa (OS X) and Cocoa Touch (iOS) programming is NeXTStep the foundation created by NeXT engineers; NeXT was the company started by Steve Jobs after he was ousted at Apple.
Pretty amazing how I tie it all together, eh?
Today’s Personal Project
Enjoy myself at The Barrelhouse.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – meh
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – I (as well as many others) received a postcard in the mail from Single ATL a “matchmaking” service. I know that it was a mass-mailing since it was addressed to “VALUE READER.”
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – not checking
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 3
Carnivorous Meals – 4
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– get my foot to stop hurting
– return ITP-Reader Marthaâ€™s coffee percolator to her
â€¨- return ITP-Terriâ€™s crutches to her
â€¨- not get sick
â€¨- finish at least two of the books I am reading
â€¨- take at least one box of things to Goodwill
â€¨- post at least ten photos in the blog
â€¨- drink a lot less alcohol
â€¨- prepare a house repair plan and budget
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams