A lesser man may gloat about winning the final Summer Slacker Series dominoes game, but not me, because as I exclaimed that night — “I win a lot.” 🙂
Today’s Daily Challenge
Eat one food with natural savory flavor, such as parmesan cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, or shrimp.
Many of us take in way more salt than we need on an everyday basis. Too much sodium ups the risk for high blood pressure, stroke, heart attacks, and kidney disease. To make food tasty without too much salt, look to foods high in umami, a flavor described as savory and mouth-watering. Foods and seasonings that add umami can make your meals satisfying with less salt.
I’d love to, who wants to make me some?
Quick Round Up
I could write paragraphs about this weekend, but the j-o-b has me busy again.
Friday: WONDERFUL night of drinking and singing at the Dayroom show at Smith’s Olde Bar. I saw many old friends, including ITP-Readers Terri and Pat, and even recognized a guy I used to work with at Georgia-Pacific eighteen years ago!
Saturday: Painful early morning. I stuffed my belly (which had little food the night before) with some Hardee’s as I drove down to the Moreland Day Spa for the final Summer Slacker Series outing. The bike ride with ITP-Readers Barb and Steve, and Allan was hot, sweaty, and awesome. I rewarded my efforts with beer and delicious food cooked up by ITP-Reader Debbie. Did I mention that we played dominoes? 🙂 About the only downside of the weekend was that I couldn’t break myself away early enough to go see John Hodgman.
Sunday: I thought that I was going to have to come into the office on Sunday but an early morning of testing from home convinced me that the problem was something that was out of my domain — so I went hashing with the Black Sheep Hash. WHAT?!?! Yes, that’s right, my three-and-a-half year hiatus from hashing in Atlanta has ended! Not even a heavy thunderstorm and slow hashing could dampen my spirits. I was good to return.
Today’s Personal Project
Keep the exercise going by playing racquetball tonight.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – sad that I am so fat, but other than that okay
Current Music – listening to today’s (?) stage of the Vuelta a España.
Website Of The Day – Thanks to ITP-Reader Barb I will be checking out Dockside Dave’s Grill the next time I go to Florida to visit my mother.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – Saturday = road cycling, ~27.5 miles; Sunday = hashing, ~4.5 miles
Morning Weigh-In – 216 pounds? Ugh, apparently I ruined all of the exercising with too much food and drink.
Foot Mileage – ~4.5 miles
Wheel Mileage – ~52.5 miles
Gym Visits – 1 (1 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clear out a room’s worth of things I no longer wish to own for the rest of my life
– hire a plumber to come in and fix the “small” repairs
– contact a realtor to make a hit list of things that need to change before the house can be listed
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon
- “Chaos: Making a New Science” by James Gleick
- “What’s So Funny?: My Hilarious Life” by Tim Conway