The Fifth Of May

Sometimes it’s hard being a nerd. As I tried to understand the future of American heathcare for a person such as myself with mounting “pre-existing conditions” as it is being proposed by the monsters in the Republican Party my Twitter feed was inundated with “May The Fourh” tweets.

Cinc-Ow de Mayo
Much like I did when I suffered from all of my many past maladies and injuries, I look forward to the day when I can stop blogging about my pain from my bicycle fall nearly one month ago. One month and still partially disabled. Wow. The bag of meat that we call our “body” is so fragile.

At week’s start I was hoping that this would be “the week” that put me right again. This morning I screamed in agony as I lifted my left leg while trying to put on my underpants. Clearly my body is incapable of healing itself this time, and I will keep considering my options for getting help.

Cinc O’DeMayo
In an attempt to try and return some “normalcy” to my life I will be practicing my second Opposite Day today by going to an Irish bar on Cinco de Mayo. The bar chosen is Ri Ra in midtown, no to be confused with the noodle restaurant Ra not more than a few blocks away, which is conveniently a mere few blocks hobble from “XYZ Corp” headquarters. I know my friend Hank will be joining me, and our friend Bill had talked a out taking MARTA down from Brookhaven. With MARTA’s station-closing fire yesterday I’ll have to see if Bill makes it down.

Yesterday MARTA had a fire, and there was a water-main break that has shutdown Roswell Road in Sandy Springs. What next? The Atlanta Metro area is literally falling apart…

Die Sechste Und Siebste Von März
If I can figure out how to get around without pain I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

Along with much-needed house cleaning and a restarting of my house purging project tomorrow I will be headed to Colony Square for the “Europe Days” activity being out on in part by the Goethe Zentrum. I may get in a trip to the High Museum as well.

Speaking of the High… Once I am capable of pain-free ambling again I want to work in routine trips to the museum since “XYZ Corp” is located so closely to it.

On Sunday I will have to figure out a way to get my lawnmower to the front of the house in order to give the yard its first mow of 2017. I may have to think about this today and build in a trip to Lowes tomorrow to get something out of which I can fashion a ramp that will defeat the three-foot elevation gain from back to front. I don’t know if you recall, but this impediment was why I was so thrilled to be able to single-handedly move a bulky bookcase from the basement to the curb no more than two months ago. I even blogged about how I was going to miss having this physical ability some day, I just never realized how quickly some day would arrive.

May the Fifth be with you. Have a great weekend as well.

Until Monday,
Paulie [eatl/ga]

This entry was posted in My Daily Life. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Fifth Of May

1. Steve says:

I think we might try some Opposite Holiday this evening, even though we are both longing for a Mexican fix. And FYI, RA isn’t quite a noodle bar, but a little bit of everything- I order really good sushi there.

We left the horses in last night and it’s a good thing. We were watching TV and the signal went out.. pretty unusual especially when it isn’t raining. Then the rain that was in the sky finally hit the roof and it was huuuge! No wonder we lost signal.

I have to look up the MARTA fire. This is the first I’ve heard. We were single track between CC and North Ave this morning, which cost me 15 minutes.

Have a great weekend. And remember, there’s a good horse race tomorrow.

-FP

• Paulie [eatl/ga] says:

Ah, I have not been to Ra and someone told me it was a noodle place. Fake news!

I actually hobbled down to the basement when my phone issues a tornado warning for “my area”. When I was finally able to find the statement I saw that the storm was already east of me and I hobbled back up the stairs.

2. Barb says:

Wasn’t the fire at the North Springs Station – way north?
    Allan was joking, that finally -after all the MARTA training drills they do, someone actually got a fire!!!

Tonight we are going to the Braves game – of course the weather is supposed to be kind of crappy. I guess it makes sense since I’m not a baseball fan, the baseball gods are getting me. It also kind of bothers me that there is no such thing as a real ticket anymore. To have to use your phone to show everyone your ticket – just seems annoying.

• Paulie [eatl/ga] says:

I thought it was at the North Avenue station.

Is it just going to cold tonight, or will it rain as well?

• Barb says:

maybe it was North Ave -I just heard the North part. That makes Allan’s comment actually make more sense.

I may rain……… who knows. But – the tickets were free, we are parking at Julie’s house for free, so if we only stay a few innings, I’ll be able to say I was there. (or maybe I’ll find a new love for Baseball, I doubt it, but who know)

3. Stacy says:

I thought I heard the MARTA fire was Midtown station? I guess I could Google but I’m too lazy.

Walking by RiRa the other day, I noticed they had new signs outside. Wonder if they did anything inside as well? I’ve always liked that place. Our Chelsea FC fan club used to meet there for a while (but are now up in Brookhaven, so I haven’t been in a while). I’ve never been to Ra, but have walked by it enough. Last night I decided to use a free Postmates delivery credit and had some Famous Fried Rice delivered to me from Noodle. (yeah…it was only a few blocks walk, but I was lazy!) That stuff’s delicious. And I normally don’t even like rice!

Barb, I hate the electronic ticket only thing too. I always like to have a back-up printout. I keep imagining I’ll go somewhere and then either my battery has died, or there’s no service, or whatever, and then what do you do?

Happy weekend, all! Going to be low key myself. Chilling out with Netflix tonight, working a beer festival at Wrecking Bar Pub tomorrow. Other than that, not much. Gotta start taking care of myself better now that the Republicans have totally screwed us over. I figure it’s either that or go hog-wild on the party life because if something as innocuous as a head cold might kill me now (since I won’t be able to afford to see a doctor), may as well go out partying like a rock star with booze and drugs instead.

4. Steve says:

Well, the fire was on a Southbound train between Midtown and North. Curbed has good pics and a narrative:

Comments are closed.