Today I am walking a tangent.
Today will be different.
You may like today.
You may hate today.
This is a concept entry all about Flickr.
By now you should have a basic understanding what Flickr is — a photo repository. However, Flickr has become more than that, it has also become a social network.
ITP Flickr Pic #1
From my Pentax Optio s5i
Wie Sagt Man Flickr Auf Deutsch?
The concept for today’s blog came to me when I realized just how many times I was looking at people’s pictures and had no clue in what language their titles, descriptions, or tags were written. Photos are universal. You see a picture of a cow, you know it’s cow. [author’s note: Stacy and Phil those would be my cows] There are times I’d like to understand what the title or description say but usually I don’t find it necessary.
ITP Flickr Pic #2
From my Nikon D50
Not surprisingly a lot of people post pictures on Flickr from weddings. One day I thought to myself “What would I think if I started looking at wedding pictures from someone that I once dated? Would that weird me out?” I’ve not figured out the answer to that question yet.
Thinking About Buying A New Lens?
Once you dive into the Digital SLR world you realize that you’ve just opened a Pandora’s Box for spending money. You see, kit lenses are usually middle-of-the-road performers and in order to take photos which look like the ones that convinced you to buy a Digital SLR you need to buy better lenses.
What I’ve started to do when I think about buying a new lens is search for photos on Flickr which were taken using the lens in question. It also helps when the same camera is in use, but even if it is not you can get a good indication on the capabilities of a lens. Oh, the skill of the photographer also has something to do with a photo’s quality as well. As my dad always used to say “Sometimes it’s not the arrow, it’s the indian.”
ITP Flickr Pic #3
From my Samsung BlackJack
This is not a great shot, I am still trying to learn abilities of the BlackJack’s cameraphone.
What I Would Change?
I think that Flickr is great, however there are some improvements I would make if I was the King of Flickr.
- Nag to tag – People are still uploading pictures without adding descriptive tags. One of the most powerful features of Flickr is the ability to add multiple tags to photos for easy searching and grouping. Why people don’t use tags better still confuses me.
- Improved contacting – I don’t think the founders of Flickr ever thought that their site would be so popular. Contacts are people whose photostreams you look at often. Once you add a lot of people to your contact list it’s unwieldy to look at their photos. For example you only have two options about contacts “view one photo from each contact” or “view five photos from each contact.” I’d like to see better filtering options.
- Rudimentary editing – It’s true that Flickr allows you to rotate an image, but it would also be nice if it allowed you to crop, or resize your online images as well.
And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal…
Current Mood – late because sleeping was so fantastic this morning
Current Music – Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Sonic Youth — “Kool Thing”
Website Of The Day – Since today is all about Flickr, why not pick a website named Complete Digital Photography.
Training Target – ???
Exercise (b)Log – none, I had a fun dinner with two beers at Taco Mac with my friend Stacy instead.
1) Lose two pounds. (starting weight 205 lbs)
2) Run no fewer than fifty miles.
3) Do twenty push-ups and fifty sit-ups at least three times a week.
4) See Manchester Orchestra in concert. [FAILED]
5) Read two books.