As we near the half-way point of February it’s dawned on me that there is a good possibility that I will not accomplish anything I desire to accomplish this month.
Have You Heard This? The Economy Sucks!
I know that this comes as shocking news to most of you, but the economy officially sucks.
On my drive in this morning I noticed that the wine bar The Grape on Highland has closed. I am a bit bummed because there was a photo opportunity I wanted to shoot there, but never made the time to do so. If a place selling wine can’t stay in business in this economy, what hope have we?
$167? Man, That’s Cold.
So much for “setting the thermostat low, bundling up, and using a small electric space heater” in order to keep my natural gas bill down. The bad news arrived in the electronic post this morning, my bill for January was $167. Dammit!
I suppose it could have been much worse, but I really thought that all of my suffering in January was going to pay dividends.
ITP Flickr Pick
The sight of a Turtle’s logo still present on a sign on the campus of Avondale High School humored me greatly.
How many of you remember Turtle’s? How many of you pasted those S&H Green Stamp like Turtle’s stamps into booklets? Hell, how many of you remember S&H Green Stamps?
Top Chef: And The Winner And Loser Are zzzzzzzz
I really don’t know how this continues to happen to me. Last night I got home in time to watch the 11pm airing of Top Chef. With laptop in lap I intently watched the first fifty-five minutes of the episode (except for what seemed to be forty minutes of commercials and other Bravo promo spots) and then it happened. I fell asleep. I fell asleep for about seven minutes, because when I awoke Bravo was running Top Chef again from the start. I completely missed the part where a winner was declared and the loser was asked to pack his/her knives and go.
For the QuickFire Challenge the cheftestants were required to do some breakfast molecular gastronomy because the guest chef was Wylie Dufresne (note to self: Get your ass to NYC and go spend a lot of money at wd-50). Oddly, the only cheftestant not to do molecular gastronomy, that would be Carla, won the event with her take on green eggs and ham.
Have you read the book “My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes”? Last night’s Elimination Challenge was based on this. Each cheftestant had to recreate the “last supper” for some of the living heaviest hitters in the culinary world. During the challenge we see that Fabio breaks a finger. Holy crap, I’d be off the show in a heartbeat if that happened to me. There were some clear likes and dislikes in the challenge. Even with the broken finger Fabio rose to the top along with Carla, who seems to be getting stronger with each episode. Leah, Hosea, and surprise surprise Stefan were at the bottom of the pile.
As I’ve come to find out Fabio won the night and Leah was asked to pack up her fucking knives and go.]
btw – If you are a big Top Chef fan like me you might enjoy Television Without Pity’s “Top Chef Season 5 Misfires”.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – feeling a bit empty today
Current Music – Spoon — (soon to be bankrupt) Sirius/XM channel 26, playing “I Summon You”
Website Of The Day – Could it be true? This Is Why You’re Fat
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Foot Mileage – 0 miles, Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 12 (12)
Vegetarian Days – 1, Carnivorous Days – 10
Marta Rides – 0
– Complete all necessary work on my bed room
– Lose no fewer than one pound
– Run no fewer than 30 miles
– Completely read Softbox Lighting Techniques for Professional Photographers, and Conceptual Blockbusting: A Guide to Better Ideas
– Reduce my weight to 190 pounds (today’s weight was 199.5 pounds)
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the JalapeÃ±o Beach SmugMug account I opened the other day.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in Objective-C (iPhone development) and Ruby on Rails (Black Sheep web page concept)
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem