The air conditioning in my hotel room is ten times worse than the one at home. The refrigerator in my hotel room seems to do nothing. I had to trick the WiFi in my hotel room so that I could get my MacBook to connect to the internet (very important because I drafted the 2010 version of the East Atlanta Deadbeat Dads last night). All this and the Colorado InviHash has yet to start! I’ll probably have chatted with the front desk by the time you read this, but as I write it I’m rather frustrated.
Look Ma, 3G!
I can’t believe that I’ve been without 3G coverage for nearly a five days (I think I lost it heading through Iowa, and I know I didn’t see it again until I made it into some populated portion of Colorado). I’m already missing the seemingly super-fast internet connection that I had in Hill City, SD though.
Crazy Windy = No Crazy Horse
There is a certain irony that I traveled to western South Dakota specifically to see Mount Rushmore, and to a lesser extent the Crazy Horse Monument, and that I actually never made it to the premises of either.
My travel from Hill City, SD to Boulder, CO took me right past the Crazy Horse Monument about thirty minutes before it was due to open at 8:00am MDT. However the winds at that time were supposedly gusting up to 20mph (with predictions of up to 40mph for later in the day) so I decided to skip waiting around for the park to open. I took a few long-distance shots which I’ve yet to load up into Lightroom to see how they look.
ITP Flickr Pic
Just some of the
mountain lion food pretty deer that I saw in Mount Moriah Cemetery in Deadwood, SD.
I have a lone shot of the deer furthest back and right with all of the tumors on it. I share a certain kinship with this deer and have considered posting a close-up of it, though it might gross people out.
Vacation Hits And Misses
- The weather has been great. It was very windy yesterday and I’ve seen a little rain, but other than that I have no complaints.
- I really liked South Dakota — although I was there when their weather was its best.
- I’ve ridden my bike 100 miles (and hopefully am riding when you read this).
- I really do like driving, and have listened to two audiobooks (thus far) in the process.
- I need more time. I’ve passed up too many photographic opportunities.
- I’ve only eaten a couple of really great meals. I’ve tried and failed to find many funky small restaurants.
- I’ve tried, and failed, “winging” it. I’ve relied on AT&T cell coverage for my discovery of fun and I should have had paper map backup.
- I’ve only ridden my bike once.
- I’ve packed things I didn’t need and should have packed a few more of other things.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – dejected
Current Music – listening to the “Breakfast Club” podcast from CBC Radio 3
Website Of The Day – I’m planning a lot of changes in my life upon returning from vacation next week, including paying attention to Coffee Geek.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – n/a
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – couldn’t check
Pages Of 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die Read – 77
Foot Mileage – 0 miles, Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Pushups – 0, Situps – 0
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 0 (0)
Vegetarian Days – 0, Carnivorous Days – 2
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– Not to get sick for the entire month
– Not get fired from my job
– Ride my bicycle no fewer than 250 miles
– Determine the fate of Sharpened Stone, LLC
– Complete at least one iPhone application (seriously, this needs to happen)
– lose five pounds
– eat vegetarian at least one day a week
– Reduce my weight to 185 pounds (starting weight was 198 pounds) [update: On July 1 I’ve sadly gained weight; I’m at 203 pounds]
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the Sharpened Stone.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Enter no fewer than three photographic competitions / gallery showings
Get the Black Sheep stats out of Excel and online
Ride in no fewer than two 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Complete my Taco Mac Passport requirement of 125 beers
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in
PHP and CSS Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem