Yep, 11/01/11 has arrived.
The Eyes Are No Longer Having It
Another casualty of my aging is the degradation of my eyesight. More often than not I now rely on my trusty spectacles to help me see anything in the distance, and now, I’m also starting to suffer to read things close up. It appears that I will be once again a single man when it’s time for my annual eye examination and glasses purchase. It’s not that I need a woman to help me buy glasses, but it would be nice to have a significant female in my life who’d steer me away from glasses that I definitely shouldn’t be wearing.
Maybe I’ll just abstain from wearing glasses at all and turn myself in a superhero — The Squinter.
ITP Flickr Pic
You know, yesterday we had our annual Halloween costume event at the office and I failed to bring my camera with me. Seriously?
Let’s pretend today is October 32nd; I’ll take a Mulligan and try to rectify my deficiency tomorrow.
So Big Gut, um Guy, How’s It Going To Happen?
You can turn back the pages of this blog as far back as six years ago to find me whining about my weight and making plans for losing some (note: this is not the longest-running whine on ITP, my lack of female companionship trumps it). So what’s going to make this time different?
- I’ve been down this road before and don’t wish to return. In my late-twenties I weight nearly 245 pounds.
- My pants are tight and I refuse to buy a larger size.
- I’m doing it for me, not “her”. Hate to say it, but it’s been so long since I’ve dated anyone I’ve come to the conclusion that it’ll never happen. So this weight loss is to make single-Paulie a happier person, and who knows, well whatever.
- “Reduction” is my 2012 theme. Why not start two months early?
Alright, that’s “Why,” what about “How?”
- I plan to abstain from drinking anything other than water, coffee (black), tea (no milk or sugar), beer, wine, preferably in that order.
- I plan to use the stairs every time I have to enter or exit my office building.
- I plan to exercise for at least an hour (even if it’s walking) for no fewer than twenty-five days this month.
- Food portions will be reduced.
- I will prepare meals at home instead of eating out so often.
- If I eat out I will immediately ask for a “to go” box and split the meal in half.
Any other advice?
I’m not going to change the world by doing this. Hell, I might not significantly change my world in a month’s time. However, if I can make a positive stride toward losing weight by the end of the month it’ll encourage me to continue. And yes, I realize that this is possibly the worse time of year to start such a plan, but there is no better time than the present.
I’ve realized often in my life that I like closure, it’s why I used to listen for Paul Harvey’s “Rest of the Story.” The habit of silently stopping the releasing of new episodes by many of my favorite podcasts over the years has really tainted my ability to invest time in new ones.
This week I got a little bit of unfortunate closure news. My friend (at least I hope she considers me a friend) ITP-Reader Carissa is moving away from Atlanta. Some of you may know Carissa as an excellent photographer, kind soul who enjoys Contra dancing, former LEAF attendee, or Christine Kane follower. I’ll also remember her for her long-lost Romanlily blog (which pre-dated this blog) which entertained me for a few years before she closed its virtual doors.
Somewhere I have a printed copy of a recipe for Confetti Stuffed Burritos that I pilfered from her website. I need to dig that recipe out and make it some day soon.
Good luck Carissa!
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – okay I guess, looking forward to losing weight, now I just need to implement my strategy
Current Music – silence at the moment because the office seems to be heating up and I don’t want to put headphones on my head
Website Of The Day – Did you know that November is National Novel Writing Month? I wish I had an idea for a novel — and the time to write one.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – 206 pounds. Yes, 206 pounds.
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 0 (0)
Vegetarian Days – 0
Carnivorous Days – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– Lose three pounds
– “Completely” recover from the bike crash (though I’m beginning to this this will never happen)
– Ride my bike no fewer than 100 miles
– Exercise for an hour no fewer than twenty-five days
– Not to get sick for the entire month
– Eat vegetarian no fewer than fifteen vegetarian meals
– Not get fired from my job, nor quit my job
2011 Goals [will be a little more fluid than in past years]
– Reduce my weight by 25 pounds based on the my weight as measured on February 1st
Completely read the book Daily Negations which I received as a Christmas gift.
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business — one which does not get penalized.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Enter no fewer than three photographic competitions / gallery showings
Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
Run in no fewer than two one half-marathon
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions