Oddly, even with that many ons in the title today’s blog has no connection to hashing.
The group, eight guys, met at a Mexican restaurant called “El Zarape” (I would have linked to their website, but their website is parked). Have I mentioned that this photography thing doesn’t appear to be the best way for me to meet women? Anyway, back to dinner.
I wasn’t feeling particularly hungry, so after snacking on some chips and salsa I ordered a chicken taco and beef burrito (probably could have just ordered the taco). Both were tasty, though I give the nod to the taco for its superior complexity of flavor since the burrito was essentially ground beef wrapped in a burrito shell. Had I seen the “chocolate flan” (which honestly looked more like a hunk of cheesecake) my sweet-tooth would have kicked my savory-tooth’s ass and I would have simply ordered “chocolate flan” for dinner (isn’t being an adult awesome!). However, by the time the flan was produce I’d already ordered and consumed my food and thought better of putting more calories into my body. Next time…
Last night was the annual Roswell Photographic Society kickoff presentation. As in past years the presenter was Craig Tanner a photographer now (and for some time) based Savannah. Tanner’s presentations are always entertaining, thought-provoking, and well-attended. Last night’s presentation was no different. In addition to “male” the Roswell Photographic Society membership skews “old,” pity since I seek neither of these qualities in a mate. Have I mentioned that this photography thing doesn’t appear to be the best way for me to meet women? Anyway, back to Tanner’s presentation.
I find Tanner to be an interesting person. I’ve heard Tanner present three times, as well as attending a weekend workshop of his in Nashville in 2010. I’ve also contemplated taking his “Next Step” workshop in Savannah in order to try to achieve some personal (or even photographic) breakthroughs, though the timing of these offerings has never synced with my busy schedule.
Last night Tanner touched on some previous topics, presenting some of the (self-described horrible) photos he took as he first attempted to become a photographer, glossing over some metaphysical beliefs, and the myth that we refer to as “talent.” Additionally Tanner presented some new material about the importance of composing your (contemplative-subject-matter) photos using you camera’s viewfinder as well as using your camera’s in-camera processing modes to explore the possibilities of the subject you are shooting. Really good stuff, and once again a great way to inspire photographers to shoot.
No ITP Flickr Pic
Think of “no” as merely a dyslexic “on”. And now that I’ve been inspired, I need to shoot.
On Back To Making My Own Coffee
My coffee-making goes in streaks. In our office we have an “interesting” policy in that exactly one bag of Starbucks coffee is placed out for consumption in the morning, and another one is produced in the afternoon. For the rest of the day far lesser-quality grounds are available for free. You can imagine the arrival of the one bag of coffee is much like chumming shark-infested waters, so in a near-instant that one bag is brewed and its resultant coffee distributed. I’m tired of trying to play this timing power-play, so I’ve decided that I’ll once again be brewing my own coffee for consumption.
I possess an electric kettle at work.
I possess a French press at work.
I’ll supply the coffee, without concern of making it too strong for my fellow coworkers since they’ll not be consuming my coffee.
More expensive? Sure.
More satisfying? Absolutely.
I think freedom and self-reliance are sexy attributes.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – pretty good, optimistic that I’ll be starting to exercise (soon!) and hoping that I can make the time to start making some appointments with professionals
Current Music – listing to the “Star Wars Coverstory” podcast from Coverville
Website Of The Day – I may have linked to Craig Tanner’s website The Mindful Eye previously, but what the hell, it’s a new year.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – checking again on Monday
Foot Mileage – 2.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 0 (0)
Vegetarian Days – 0
Carnivorous Days – 9
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– Lose at least one pound (net weight loss)
– “Completely” recover from the bike crash (though I’m beginning to think that this will never happen)
– Exercise for thirty minutes no fewer than twenty days
– Not to get sick for the entire month
– Eat vegetarian no fewer than ten days
– Not get fired from my job, nor quit my job
– Follow up with doctors, lawyer, women in whom I have interest
– Participate in a least one dinner party (perhaps held at my house when plumbing issues are addressed?)
– Go out on a least one date with a woman in whom I have interest
– Submit 2012 paperwork for Sharpened Stone, LLC
– Gather all tax paperwork for 2011 income taxes
– Request free credit report
– Successfully arrange for automatic payments for my mortgage
– Watch all of the classes in the 2011 Winter semester of Stanford’s CS193P (iOS Development) course
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5?), a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue to, make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Eat more pancakes
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation
Apparently Alabama won the BCS National Championship last night. Not being a fan of either team competing I saw little benefit in watching the game.
WHAT! No mention of the BCS game last night? I’m sure if one of those “south of the border” teams had been playing, we’d have heard nothing but. Actually, while “my” team won, it certainly could have been a better game on all fronts. I’d rather watch good football and win than watch whatever that was. And as far as those who say 2 teams from the same conference do not a championship make- the SEC is the best football there is and every other conference takes second seat. Full stop.
Funny, our comments must have crossed paths in the internets.
El Zarape used to be known as El Zorrito – why the name change, who knows, but I’ve noticed at a few Mexican places in Atlanta they have just barely changed their name. (yesterday went to Los Agaves for lunch, that was Los Arcos last time I looked)
But anyway- Allan used to LOVE their seafood burrito, we haven’t been there in quite some time.
Watched part of that football game in fast forward mode – I think LSU had the same game plan as the Falcons….. why even bother to show up?
Castle was much more entertaining than that football game.
We always record Castle, as to stay up and watch it is past my bedtime.
Barb, I hear a rumor about a wheelhopper this weekend. Know where it might be starting?
Wheelhopper is up in Roswell – starting at Roswell Mill. We will be attending, as will Material Girl (hasher that moved to VA).
Paulie – you could bring a camera & take pictures of hashers & bikes, or the Roswell Mill & then ride the hash with us? two goals (picture taking & excercise) could be taken care of in one swoop.
Heh. I mean, I’m not one to beat a dead horse (usually), but now it says, “…beginning to that this will never happen.” 🙂
Harumph! When will I learn to proofread? 🙂
Will fix (for real) once I get back to my computer.
I think you should just pay ME to proofread (although I would do it for free, shhhhh).
Hehe. I was about to say that you’ll have to step up your game since Martha no longer seems to be reading. Perhaps I can compensate you with a crockpot dinner, once in a while? 🙂
Did somebody say Wheelhopper?
Yes Wheelhopper is in Roswell, weather appears to be cooperating too. Come out for some cycling fun 🙂
‘…freedom and self reliance are sexy attributes”
Hells yeah! totally quoting you on this:)
I would never say no to a crockpot dinner.