It’s weird. Yesterday I coughed for a little while and then it seemed to subside, at least until I laid down to go to sleep. This morning I went out for a five-mile walk and felt fine, nary a cough. However, as soon as I sat to “relax” (read “work”) the coughing commenced. Troublesome, especially considering that I am soon to be seated in an airplane for six hours.
Yesterday’s Daily Challenge
Do one small task or chore that you’ve been putting off.
It’s easy to put off doing boring or unpleasant tasks. But not doing those chores can waste energy. By taking care of it now, you may gain more energy for the things you really want to do, and you’ll also lessen the feelings of stress that come with procrastination.
I have three which spring to mind immediately. I think that I shall complete each today.
Who Reopened The Spam Floodgates?
For a long time I was getting very little spam sent to my GMail accounts. However, perhaps just in the past week, I’ve been getting tons — or whatever the digital equivalent to “tons” is. Is it just me? Was it something I said / posted?
I Have Little Concept Of Time, Or Perhaps All Of My Planning Has Ruined My Internal Calendar
While walking through Target yesterday I saw swim trunks. I one bathing suit, but could use another — or perhaps one that fits me a little better. However, my first thought was “I shouldn’t buy a new bathing suit, summer is almost over.”
It was June 12th for crissakes, what makes me even think that summer is almost over? I don’t think Summer has yet to officially start!
It must be because I am trying to plan think for June, July, August, September, and my schedule already seems completely filled.
At least that’s what I’m telling myself. It’s that or I secretly believe that I am living in the Southern Hemisphere.
Due to an impending interruption to my weekly routine I am going to have to do laundry tonight. The laundry chore was actually a part of yesterday’s schedule, but due to a long-running meeting held at work I didn’t leave the office until 7:00pm (1900) and thus was in no mood to spend two more hours dealing with laundry
I planned to use my “newly found” time trying out a restaurant at which I have never eaten. The plan was to have dinner at Big Tex Cantina, the sister restaurant to Fox Bros BBQ, but that fell through when I couldn’t find parking. Have I ever mentioned how much I would love Decatur if it weren’t such a parking clusterfuck? So instead I drove to Fox Bros BBQ, parked about a quarter-mile away on Elmira (at least it was free and I knew that I wasn’t going to get a parking ticket), and enjoyed a lovely dinner.
While at Fox Bros I encountered a bit of internal time travel. I was seated facing a table of about eight young ladies, including one who reminded me of one of the prettiest girls in high school. Considering I graduated high school in 1983 (seriously, thirty years next year?) and haven’t seen this girl, now woman, since, it was an amazing journey. I really like weird shit like that sometimes.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – frustrated
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – I’m traveling again which means I’m once again keeping all of my information straight using TripIt.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – not checking
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Days – 1
Carnivorous Days – 12
Pancakes Eaten – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2012
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me — Mindy Kahling
- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man’s Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science — Curtis Ebbesmeyer
- God, No! — Penn Jillette
- The Elephant to Hollywood — Michael Caine
- Here Comes Trouble — Michael Moore
- How We Decide — Jonah Lehrer
- Steve Jobs — Walter Isaacson
- Death of a Salesman (Penguin Plays) — Authur Miller
– Post at least ten new photos during the month
– Lose at least two pounds (net weight loss)
– Finish two books (audio or otherwise, comic books do not qualify)
– Exercise for thirty minutes no fewer than twenty days
– Not to get sick for the entire month (may be a moot point as of today)
– Eat vegetarian no fewer than ten days
– Watch all of the classes in the 2011 Winter semester of Stanford’s CS193P (iOS Development) course
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5?),
a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Eat more pancakes
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation
Thought I’d say hi, I’m almost caught back up here.
One of my co-workers did a great job, the other one, has screwed up more in one week than I have in 5 years. (and, as it always in in offices, she is the “senior” person here, the one that knows the most- HAHAHA I say to that)
I’ve got to have a chat with my boss about coverage when I’m gone on vacation.
My garden still has no red tomatoes, though I have a few starting to turn FINALLY. The lettuce & green beans have done extremely well, the snow peas that Sal said wouldn’t grow at all (too hot, I should read the package closer) have produced enough for one meal so far, though they are dying out.
I’ve got enough squash, cucumbers, zuchini & eggplant to give away some. So far I’m very happy with my garden.
Your daily challenge just said to do one of those things you hate doing and you’re going to accomplish 3!! You are such an overachiever. 🙂
One of the things I like about FB is getting back in touch with those old high school friends and seeing how they have “matured” over the years. As our school doesn’t exist anymore, our school is probably closer than many.
And speaking of swim trunks… just a reminder that the Summer Slacker Series #2 will be June 30 and July 1. We will of course be celebrating the start of the TdF, as well as Canada Day (eh?). I have heard a rumor of some hash celebrating a 30 year anniversary on the 30th which may impact our attendance a bit. Please make your reservations early as space is limited. There will be a FB event going up in the next few days…
You graduated exactly 10 years before I did! My high school friends and I are already planning our 20th reunion for 2013. BLERG!
Allan & I plan to be at the SSS #2 – please reserve us our bedroom 😉
I will hopefully have some veggies to bring to share.
And Paulie – Allan does have new swim trunks. (in fact, I got him 2 new ones the other day). I was at the Sears Outlet over here, they were only $7. I am a bargin shopper.
I’ll be at SSS #2 as well. Where is the Sears outlet near you? The only one I know of is on Mountain Industrial near Stone Mountain.
FYI there are free options in Decatur — you can always park at Decatur High School (the parking lot next to the stadium is a short walk to the square) … or you can park at the courthouse/county deck which is free after 5. There tend to be more metered spaces near Chick-Fil-A on McDonough, too. Raging Burrito validates parking for two hours if you are eating there — I’ve gotten a beer at RB and then gone on to Brick Store for dinner.
Sears Outlet is across the street from the Big Chicken, in the old KMart building. They have lots of clothes (and appliances, etc.) Its a good place to waste time, I bought 7 tops for $25 the other day there. I like cheap disposable clothing sometimes.
I bought new swim suits for Folly Beach but never had the chance to wear them. God, I can’t express how much I hate to see myself it a swim suit…
My 25th is next month, I’m not going. I have no ‘fond’ memories of high school and after catching up with most folks on FB I don’t have any desire to spend an evening in a redneck bar with any of them.
I’ve been picking tomatoes for a month, granted they are just run of the mill grape tomatoes, I’ve never had much luck with the larger variety. I did plant some black cherry tomatoes, looking forward to seeing what they are like. Lots of peppers & green beans, got more strawberries than ever before, but they are all tiny. I have a bunch of butternut squash growing rouge, I hope it survives.
I’m beginning the countdown to “Laura’s weekend alone”, Jerry’s taking off tomorrow for Chattanooga and won’t return until Sunday! Too bad right now all I feel like doing is crawling in a hole for three days…it’s been a hellva week, I wish people would just stop getting sick and dying on me.
I got a chainsaw yesterday, just a little ‘my frist chainsaw’ but it works pretty well, maybe I’ll take out my frustrations on those bushes at the end of your driveway this weekend. 🙂