No, not for me, for le Tour, though admittedly they probably ride on their rest day as far or farther than I do on my “workout” day.
Today’s Personal Project
Wash, dry, fold, and put away all laundry tonight.
Today’s Daily Challenge
List one healthy replacement for a snack with your favorite texture, like carrots instead of chips.
Taste isn’t the only game in town when it comes to enjoying our food! Texture also plays a big part, and especially when we have cravings for our favorite snacks. Being mindful of which texture you respond to in these snacks can help you pick healthier alternatives that are lower in salt, sugar, and fat.
I don’t believe in this strategy because no amount of carrots will satisfy my craving for sweet, salty, or fatty snacks. Instead I try to eliminate the snack, or allow myself the snack in moderation.
I’m not sure how things were in your neck of the woods last night, but the ITP Estate was subjected to heavy rain, thunder, and lighting. From what I saw this morning I’ll need to do a bit of cleanup when I get an opportunity (not tonight though, because tonight is lavanderia night).
As is typical in my neighborhood I lost power briefly about four times. I have a small Coleman tent light that I use when I only want a wee little bit of light and attempted to employ it when the power was lost. I say attempted because the damn rechargeable batteries in it gave out, and then the batteries I charged a couple of weeks ago couldn’t provide enough juice to power the light. ENOUGH!
I’ve officially given up on rechargeable batteries.
As the batteries I have fail to produce I will gather them in a container that will be taken to one of the electronics recycling centers referenced in yesterday’s Website of the Day. I actually have a box load of ancient technology — old UPS devices, a Palm Pilot III, a Compaq Windows PDA — to name a few which will also be finding their way to the recycle heap.
Though I’ll be returning to buying “disposable” batteries I’ll try to be a mindful Earth citizen by recycling those as they demise as well.
Proof that I actually rode at least the GA400 portion of the ride
(Look at me going so fast that I’m a blur! Well, truth be told the shot was taken by my coworker Brock (pictured in the first shot in the NC State jersey) with his Android phone as he rode his bike so I’m impressed that any of it is in focus. You may also notice that not fifteen minutes into the ride Al and I have already lost the number stickers provided to us because the adhesive on the back of the numbers was terrible.
Look At Me, Another Book Read!
Who’d a thunk that an oaf like me would be reading books again. Last night as the rain, thunder, and lighting filled the sky I finished Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 on my iPad. The iPad was a safe bet for reading as it was not plugged in and produced its own light for reading when the power went out.
Next up on my list — The MacSparky Paperless Field Guide by David Sparks. I smell a change of lifestyle in the wind…
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – glad I made it through the night unscathed (at least as far as I know)
Current Music – listening to a KEXP music podcast. I love that Seattle station
Website Of The Day – Believe it or not, I’m trying to get myself to dress a little nicer. I’ve been cultivating ideas from websites like Put This On though I have to keep in mind that I’m no longer in my twenties and that I don’t have a model’s body.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – walking, ~4.6 miles
Morning Weigh-In – need to start checking
Foot Mileage – ~24.6 miles
Wheel Mileage – ~63.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Days – 2
Carnivorous Days – 7
Pancakes Eaten – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2012
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me — Mindy Kahling
- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man’s Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science — Curtis Ebbesmeyer
- God, No! — Penn Jillette
- The Elephant to Hollywood — Michael Caine
- Here Comes Trouble — Michael Moore
- How We Decide — Jonah Lehrer
- Steve Jobs — Walter Isaacson
- Death of a Salesman (Penguin Plays) — Arthur Miller
- Fahrenheit 451 — Ray Bradbury
– Take at least one load of stuff from my house to Goodwill
– Post at least ten new photos during the month (let’s try this again)
– Lose at least two pounds (net weight loss)
– Finish two books (audio or otherwise, comic books do not qualify)
– Exercise for thirty minutes no fewer than twenty days
– Not to get sick for the entire month (may be a moot point as of today)
– Eat vegetarian no fewer than ten days
– Watch all of the classes in the 2011 Winter semester of Stanford’s CS193P (iOS Development) course
– Ride no fewer than 150 miles
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5?),
a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Eat more pancakes
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation