Oh, you’ve not left and returned? Then thanks for sticking with me.
Today’s Personal Project
Mail my uncle John’s birthday card (more about him on Friday).
Today’s Daily Challenge
Take a moment to recall something funny that happened to you and a friend.
Although we all have a few laughs from time to time, there’s nothing like silly adventures from the past to bring the funny right to the surface today. When we recall fun times, it reconnects us to important people in our past and reminds us that there are little pleasures to be found in everyday life. This can motivate us to reach out to those around us, and to try and look for or create new pleasant memories.
Gee, didn’t I air enough dirty laundry about my Buckhead life yesterday? 😉
Midtown Brain Drain
I left work early yesterday and made my way to midtown. As planned I made it to IKEA, and after winding my way around the building wound up leaving with nothing. I have to admit that each time I walk/shop IKEA I yearn to change my living arrangement, move to a small studio, and simplify my life greatly.
After IKEA I fought westside traffic to make it to the iOS Developers Meetup at Strongbox West. The first topic discussed, scenes and segues, was very interesting to my nerd mind, though I have to admit the second topic, project management, held none of my interest.
I must have been brain dead leaving the meetup because I was in prime position to make first trip to the Atlanta Food Truck Park, but the idea didn’t cross my mind until I was finishing up my dinner elsewhere. That elsewhere was Fellini’s pizza in Candler Park, where I consumed one of the best slices of Sicilian pizza that I have ever eaten; which considering I spent my youth in New York is saying something.
The Jackmobile Is Making A New Noise
I think something is starting to fail with the air conditioning / blower motor / whatever. This morning there was a sound (seemingly) coming from the dashboard which sounded like a motor/gears struggling. The noise went away with highway driving, and returned briefly when I started up from a red light around Perimeter Mall. Had I been really paying attention to Car Talk over these past years I might be able to diagnose this problem better. Considering that I have just renewed the license plate for the Jackmobile (look for a personal project of “put new license plate on Jackmobile” Friday) as well as paid my auto insurance, I really would like to keep the Jackmobile for one more year without having to sink any money into repairs.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – okay, though I have a lot of things stirring in my mind
Current Music – listening to today’s stage of the Tour de France
Website Of The Day – If I’ve yet to link to A Show With Ze Frank then I’ve been remiss. If I have already linked to it, well, the go visit the site again.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – not checking until after my birthday
Foot Mileage – ~39.8 miles
Wheel Mileage – ~81.8 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Days – 3
Carnivorous Days – 14
Pancakes Eaten – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2012
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me — Mindy Kahling
- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man’s Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science — Curtis Ebbesmeyer
- God, No! — Penn Jillette
- The Elephant to Hollywood — Michael Caine
- Here Comes Trouble — Michael Moore
- How We Decide — Jonah Lehrer
- Steve Jobs — Walter Isaacson
- Death of a Salesman (Penguin Plays) — Arthur Miller
- Fahrenheit 451 — Ray Bradbury
– Take at least one load of stuff from my house to Goodwill
– Post at least ten new photos during the month (let’s try this again)
– Lose at least two pounds (net weight loss)
– Finish two books (audio or otherwise, comic books do not qualify)
– Exercise for thirty minutes no fewer than twenty days
– Not to get sick for the entire month (may be a moot point as of today)
– Eat vegetarian no fewer than ten days
– Watch all of the classes in the 2011 Winter semester of Stanford’s CS193P (iOS Development) course
– Ride no fewer than 150 miles
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5?),
a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Eat more pancakes
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation