And if I didn’t have to work tomorrow I’d be much happier about this. Sunday is supposedly going to be very nice, anyone riding?
Keeping it short today since I have no photo and not much to blog about.
Today’s Personal Project
Today’s Daily Challenge
Raise your left knee and tap it with your right hand. Switch sides; repeat four times on each side.
This simple exercise utilizes our upper and lower extremities and combines elements of balance and energy. When you bring your left and right sides toward your middle, you engage the left and right sides of the brain. This can help improve your sense of balance, which is key in preventing falls. And raising your knees also raises your heart rate a bit!
Perhaps I Need Suspenders Too?
I opine about my weight far too much in this space. However, yesterday’s happening has once again convinced me that I need to eat less and exercise more.
As I got out of my chair to eat lunch I noticed the front of my belt hanging down. I immediately assumed that I had forgotten to buckle my belt, but instead looked in horror as I realized that my belt had broken instead.
It’s one of those reversible belts, so what came apart was the rotation portion from the rest of the belt, but still, what could make one feel fatter than seeing his or her own belt in two while around one’s waist?
Apostrophes, They’re Important
In two different podcasts this week I saw one of today’s most common gaffs — not using apostrophes where needed (see also: using apostrophes where they shouldn’t be.).
Change Mountain Lions Notification Background” stated one recent “Tekzilla” podcast, while a recent “iPad Today” podcast had the title “Whats New In The App Store?” These are technology podcasts, you’d think they would know how to use spell and grammar checkers.
It’s Sad, But I Almost Pre-Ordered A Kindle
I have an iPad 3 (whose battery life seems less than stellar)
I have an original Kindle Fire (that I never use)
Apple is having their new technology announcement next Wednesday (new iPhone in my future? You betcha!)
And yet I still considered pre-ordering a new Kindle (actually, the Paperwhite).
They say that the first step for recovery is admitting that you have a problem: I have a problem, many in fact. 😉
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – now that I’ve returned to the conclusion that I am undesirable to women to whom I am attracted (don’t ask), I’m returning to normal
Current Music – listening to a recent “Sound Opinions” podcast
Website Of The Day – While on my walk this morning I saw an interesting structure. I just now found out that it is The Retreat at Perimeter Summit.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – walking/jogging, ~5.2 miles
Morning Weigh-In – I forgot
Foot Mileage – ~20.6 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 9
Carnivorous Meals – 7
Pancakes Eaten – 3
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– Wear “nice” clothes to work at least twice a week, if for no other reason than to have people wonder why I am dressing up. New!
– Eat no fewer than forty-five vegetarian meals
– Take at least one load of stuff from my house to Goodwill
– Take unused electronics to recycling center
– Post at least ten new photos during the month
– Lose at least two pounds (net weight loss)
– Finish two books (audio or otherwise, comic books do not qualify)
– Not to get sick for the entire month
– Exercise for thirty minutes no fewer than twenty days
– Ride no fewer than 100 miles
– Walk (or run) no fewer than 100 miles
– Do no fewer than 750 sit-ups
– Do no fewer than 300 push-ups
– Read a non-techincal book
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5?),
a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Eat more pancakes
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2012
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me — Mindy Kahling
- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man’s Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science — Curtis Ebbesmeyer
- God, No! — Penn Jillette
- The Elephant to Hollywood — Michael Caine
- Here Comes Trouble — Michael Moore
- How We Decide — Jonah Lehrer
- Steve Jobs — Walter Isaacson
- Death of a Salesman (Penguin Plays) — Arthur Miller
- Fahrenheit 451 — Ray Bradbury