It was a fairly uneventful Thursday in my life. I could have left work early and gotten back down to EAV for the opening of the Farmers Market, but instead I chose to hangout with coworkers at Taco Mac for awhile. By the time I returned home I was beat and after talking on the phone for a while with my mother I went to bed.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Bring a plant into your home or office.
Plants remove carbon dioxide from the air, but their real benefits may have more to do with how flora make us feel! Some researchers think that just seeing green plants can have a calming effect on us and reduce our stress. In fact, being in the same room with plants can cause a slight drop in blood pressure.
Though I felt as if I had gotten a decent night of sleep I was unable to convince myself to get out of bed and head to LA Fitness. Instead I concocted a scheme in which I go to the gym tonight, eschewing the lure of post-work beverages.
ITP Flickr Pic
I’ve exhausted my feed…
Concern Is Growing
I’m concerned about my career, not the software development side, but rather my choice to focus on Apple’s iOS development. A few years ago, when I made my choice, it was a simple thing to do since Apple owned the mobile universe. Since then I have been devoting a lot of my life to learning the iOS development trade (and still barely understand it) and wonder now if I made the right choice.
Recently some highly-regarded tech pundits have been signing the praises of Android phones (oh how I hope to never own one of those ridiculously-large “phablets”). My fear is that the more praise Android gets the smaller the iOS development market will become.
Related: AAPL dropped below $400/share for the first time in over a year; last December the stock traded at over $700/share.
I’ll be forty-eight years old in a few months, which leaves me another twenty years or so of employment. I’d like for my remaining time to be as rewarding mentally and financially as the past twenty have been.
A Lovely Weekend Ahead
And I will probably be spending at least one of the days working in an attempt to get my project back on schedule. The time I do spend at home this weekend should be dedicated to working on my house and yard.
The weekend’s weather forecast is looking outstanding. With the Dogwood and Sweetwater 420 festivals both happening there should be plenty of things to do as well.
Today’s Personal Project
Go to LA Fitness tonight.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – meh, trying to forecast my future
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – I started watching the Cartoon Network show “Adventure Time” recently and have discovered that there is an entire Adventure Time Wiki out there.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – checking again soon
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 7 (3 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 26
Carnivorous Meals – 28
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– not get sick
– lose two pounds
– walk/run no fewer that 50 miles
– lift weights at the gym no fewer than eight times
– finish at least two of the books I am reading
– take at least one box of things to Goodwill
– post at least ten photos in the blog
– drink a lot less alcohol
– prepare a house repair plan and budget
– return ITP-Reader Martha’s coffee percolator to her
– return ITP-Terri’s crutches to her
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
If you get out to Dogwood, give a holler. Leigh Ann’s been talking about getting a group together to head over on Saturday, most likely packing up the wagon with a light picnic or something. Either way, I’ll go one of the days just to poke around and get some foot mileage in.
Will do. I hope to spend some time having fun this weekend in the great weather, but I also really need to spend time getting my project back on track.
Should be a great weekend weather wise, a little colder than I’d like for camping, but that just means great campfire weather. Went to the grocery store to buy food & other supplies for camping, you’d think were were going to be gone a week with all the beverages purchased. Not just beer, but milk, juices, wine, & water. How we will fit any food in the cooler I’m not sure.
Barb, I was stunned how much food four of us bought last Saturday. Then, when people realized that there wasn’t going to be enough wine they went back to the store and returned with alcohol and more food. Remember, we were only camping for one night!
Thankfully, we did not eat it all…
Not enough wine? OH NO!!!! I think I will have packed plenty of wine, & beer, etc. Bryson City is just far enough away, that we over pack everything.
No big plans this weekend, Jerry mentioned hitting up one of the festivals, I’d rather take the dogs hiking somewhere…with us both gone all day, they are getting pretty stir crazy. Doing a little 5k up the street in the morning. Last year a 5th grader won, so I might just have a chance. 🙂
I still have to run today, looks like it will be in the rain, yikes, hope it isn’t too stormy.
Have a great weekend everyone and stay safe.
Is it called the “Are You Faster than a 5th Grader 5k”?
what race has a 5th grader winning? maybe you are too old to even enter?
Don’t think for a minute I won’t knock that kid out of my way 😉
(heck, I’m sure there are at least a couple of 5th graders bigger than me)
not sure if we are going yet- but thinking about it
If you are interested
DEKALB BOTTLE HOUSE
Thursday May 9th
6.30pm – 8.30pm
BRIARCLIFF WOODS BEACH CLUB
1830 MORRIS LANDERS DRIVE
ATLANTA GA 30345
$20.00 per person ( in advance)
Strictly 21 & over
Get your tickets early as spaces limited.
Interesting. I have something on the calendar for that night, but if you go to the wine tasting I will skip that.
Kat & John may go too – she likes buying wine after tasting it, so you know you will like it. we will probably decide that week & hope it isn’t sold out.