Though I plan two work both days this weekend I also plan to leave work early today so I can head back to East Atlanta for a little fun this afternoon hearing Turf War perform at 529. Turf War is scheduled to play a 45-minute set starting at 4:45pm so I guess that I’ll hang around the ‘hood and go out for dinner somewhere local (assuming I don’t smell too much like an ashtray by the time I leave 529) afterward.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Spend a moment thinking about a negative life event that led to a positive outcome or change.
Feeling grateful enhances well-being, and by looking at a negative event within a positive framework, you increase your sense of gratitude. This exercise can also prompt you to look for the good in the midst of a bad situation in the future. In other words, if there was an upside once before, there may be one again.
If you consider this blog a “positive outcome or change” then I guess my getting carjacked would be my “negative life event.”
Sadly I have many “negative life events” that occurred during the past twenty years from which to choose.
The Most Boring NFL Draft Ever
I hung around Taco Mac last night (btw, I am now at beer #499) after work and watched some of the first round of the NFL Draft. Until last night I had never watched a draft in which I did not know any of the first ten selections. Weird. My NY Jets picked to players, neither or which I knew well, who I can only hope will help them improve in the near future.
It was “Pint Night” at Taco Mac so the place was predictably filled. I started the evening with two coworkers who had to leave (one returned later) to have drinks with the company president who is in town today.
While I was alone I made the “mistake” of having to go pee, only to return to my table and find it completely cleaned off. Fortunately for me I was done with my dinner and beer so I didn’t lose anything. My waiter, a guy who has served me many times, said he didn’t see them cleaning the table off and had to stop the hostess from seating someone at it. This is one of the many hazards/stigmas of eating/drinking alone. Anyone want to help me design a “I’m Still Here” card that can be placed on the table as a notice that the sole diner has only temporarily left his/her table?
ITP Flickr Pic
“How I Ruined This Morning’s Workout”
Abandoned by my coworkers who had to meet with the company president I was left alone to ruin my morning workout with Taco Mac’s “Fiesta Chicken Nachos.”
Wet Weekend Ahead
It’s unfortunate for the Inman Park Festival and Roswell Mayor’s Ride that the weather outlook for this weekend is not good. As for me I will be in the office both days due to pressure to get a software release out.
I will be carving out time to head over to Red Hare Brewing for tomorrow’s tasting/roller derby benefit and then hope to join some of you at Tasty China for dinner, however.
What’s on your agenda?
Today’s Personal Project
Leave work in time to hear Turf War play. Crap, I just got invited to a 1:00pm meeting…
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – okay
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – I’ll be attending some of the Atlanta Mess Around in East Atlanta this weekend.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – treadmill (Galloway Method), 60 minutes
Morning Weigh-In – checking today
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 13 (6 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 36
Carnivorous Meals – 39
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– not get sick
– lose two pounds
– walk/run no fewer that 50 miles
– lift weights at the gym no fewer than eight times
– finish at least two of the books I am reading
– take at least one box of things to Goodwill
– post at least ten photos in the blog
– drink a lot less alcohol
– prepare a house repair plan and budget
– return ITP-Reader Martha’s coffee percolator to her
– return ITP-Terri’s crutches to her
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg