Making life changes one step at a time.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Stretch hamstrings and calves with eight runner’s lunges.
You don’t have to be a runner to benefit from these lunges, which stretch both the calves and hamstrings. Stretching these muscles can help to prevent aches, stiffness, and injury.
I’d love to do these again. Perhaps I’ll be doing these at physical therapy today?
I’m Trying To Be A Stand Up Guy
Having read this space you already know that while I am not handsome enough to suit the women in whom I have interest, I (believe that I) am regarded as a “stand up” guy. But that is not to what I refer here.
No, I am trying something new at work — using my cubicle’s bookshelf as a standup desk. I keep reading studies about how unhealthy it is to sit for eight hours (or for as many hours as I work in one day) and am jumping on the “standup desk” bandwagon — at least until this new posture becomes overly tiresome. Realistically I know that I won’t (shouldn’t?) start out trying to stand all day, so I will either go in stints (like running the Galloway Method) or go for as long as I can before giving up and sitting for awhile (like my approach to other activities).
Stand by for updates… Oooooh, see what I did there!?! Hey, it’s early, I’m not if full comedic swing yet.
ITP Flickr Pic
“Stand And Deliver”
Like so many other office workers I am trying to convert my cubicle into a standup desk environment. This is a test, I am not sure how long I will be able to do this.
I Couldn’t Stand It Any Longer
I have been using my ailing foot as an excuse for not going to LA Fitness. Last night I decided the hell with it and returned.
My arms are already starting to kill me.
I decided that, even with my ailing foot, I could do all of my upper-body workout as well as select leg routines that don’t stress my foot/ankle/tendon, and I did.
Did I mention that I am already starting to feel the pain?
I also noticed that working out until 7:45pm was also a great way to suppress my desire to eat too much and drink beer. Last night’s (very late, ~9:15pm) was a almond butter sandwich-and-a-half and a large glass of water as I iced my foot. Related: I stopped at Walgreens on my way home an purchased a reusable ice pack.
This morning I allowed myself a “real” breakfast since I’ll be headed to physical therapy at 11:00am today.
Fuck it feels good to hurt (in a non-emotional way) again.
I’m Not Taking This Lying Down
The gods may not be crazy but I am starting to think that I am.
I have already committed nearly $500 of my own money and earmarked two vacation days from work in order to attend CocoaConf Atlanta in November.
With my employer continuing to deny to send me to iOS Advanced Programming at Big Nerd Ranch I actually considering ponying up the $4000(!) for the course and burning five more of my precious vacation days to attend.
These two courses would cost me a shitload of money and seven of my fifteen vacation days this year, but they may also be a great investment for my future.
What could be next?
Perhaps I will attempt to put two and two together and change my life significantly. 😉 It should be mentioned here that I make more than a reasonable salary with my current employer so I shan’t do anything drastic that will significantly reduce my lifestyle.
Have I mentioned that I’ve been emptying out my cubicle? It’s kind of Spring Training for working on my house.
Today’s Personal Project
Stand until I can’t, oh, and pay my ad valorem tax.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – pleased that I went to the gym last night
Current Music – listening to last weekend’s “The Mac Show” from British Tech Network, and now listening to today’s stage of the Tour de France.
Website Of The Day – I searched for “stand up desk” on Google and found many pros and cons on this lifestyle change, including JustStand. Oh, I also found out about the movie “Stand Up Guys” (which requires Flash, btw).
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – strength training
Morning Weigh-In – I think if I am to check any time soon I will get severely depressed
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 1 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 7
Carnivorous Meals – 11
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– get my foot to stop hurting
– return ITP-Reader Marthaâ€™s coffee percolator to her
â€¨- return ITP-Terriâ€™s crutches to her
â€¨- not get sick
â€¨- finish at least two of the books I am reading
â€¨- take at least one box of things to Goodwill
â€¨- post at least ten photos in the blog
â€¨- drink a lot less alcohol
â€¨- prepare a house repair plan and budget
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams
- Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness — by CC Chapman