I’m “here” but not at the “here” that I normally reference when I am writing these blog posts. I decided to play hooky from work and use this day to perform some life-critical tasks, and a few that aren’t.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Do a Pilates-inspired exercise by lying on your back and rolling up to a seated position 3 times.
This exercise requires that you fully engage your core â€“ in other words, you call on the muscles in your abdomen and back to help you roll up and then back down again. A strong core is important for balance and stability, and it also contributes to good posture.
My Body And I Just Don’t See Each Other Eye To Eye
Even when the eyes have nothing to do with the situation. Again I was afflicted with enough discomforting pain to cause me to almost bail on my exercise. I shan’t go into the pain itself, but it was, well, painful.
Instant Trivia: Why Didn’t Paulie Play Trivia Last Night?
If you answered “Because he met an awesome woman and was out on a date.” you’d certainly be incorrect. No, instead I battled my pain and went out on a (short) walk with my boss. The two of us covered nearly 5k around the Perimeter Mall area, enough for me to realize that attempting to drive to midtown to meet up with ITP-Reader Stacy for trivia would do nothing more than raise my blood pressure to dangerous levels.
I should have used the traffic as an instigator for me to walk longer, instead my boss and I went to dinner at Chuy’s with the restriction that neither of us could order alcohol. Did you know that “vegetarian” is not necessarily a synonym for “healthy.” Yeah, I found this out last night when the Vegetarian Combo arrived at my table with its poblano pepper fried and full of delicious cheese, and mound of refried beans (not to mention the rice and enchilada). But hey, I was drinking unsweet iced tea so at least I had that going for me.
When I finally did head toward home I was more interested in relaxing on my couch and doing some chores around the house while listening to the football game. I made it home and within an hour was zonked out on the couch until about 3am. Whoops!
Regardless I am glad that there are people who do this sort of work. Shit, this reminds me that I was supposed arrange for a gutter cleaning before yesterday so that I could cash in on a 10% discount. Oh well.
What Gives? Why The Day Off?
Honestly, it’s not a good day for me to be out of the office, but I really need this.
I have a ton of things planned for me today including a change of initial plans! Rumors of me installing a Blu-Ray player or wireless extender are greatly exaggerated. I’ll save discussion of what I actually did today for tomorrow’s post.
Ooooh, I can go somewhere unusual for lunch today! I wonder where I will wind up.
Today’s Personal Project
Complete some important paperwork. Submit some important paperwork. Use the powers of my mind to will AAPL back over $500/share.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – Odd taking a random Tuesday off from work. Hoping that I can make the best of it.
Current Music – Listening to REM’s “Mumur.” How is it that thirty years have passed since its release?
Website Of The Day – Atlanta Cheese Festival? Friday, October 11th? Yeah, I’m there. I even forked out the extra cash for a VIP ticket. That’s how my cheese rolls…
Mode Of Transportation To Work – n/a
Exercise (b)Log – walking, ~3.2 miles
Morning Weigh-In – I check again some day. For today I’ll just call myself morbidly obese.
Foot Mileage – ~17.9 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 19
Carnivorous Meals – 21
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– exercise no fewer than twenty days (and I’m starting on Day 3 so I have my work cut out for me)
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to replace my malfunctioning faucets
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams
- Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness — by CC Chapman
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love — by Cal Newport
- Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life — by Steve Martin
- Who Am I: A Memoir — by Pete Townshend