If you live anywhere near Atlanta you couldn’t help but hear that the Atlanta Braves are moving from “downtown” (I consider them to be south of downtown) to Cobb County by the start of the 2017 season; I hope to be moved out by 2017 as well. On Twitter I also suggested they change their name to the “Cobb County Carpetbaggers” as well (they are originally from Boston, after all) but was one-upped when someone suggested the “Atlanta Burbs.”
I find it conspicuous that the story broke six days after Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed secured his second, and final, term as Mayor. I think somebody made a few bucks holding back this information.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Use two senses along with your sense of taste – such as smell and sight – at a snack or meal.
Eating is much more pleasurable when it involves as many of our senses as possible! By slowing down to take note of not only the taste but the sight, texture, smell, and even sounds of your food, you will be able to eat more mindfully and better appreciate what’s on your plate.
I won’t have time to start exercising today, but I can start cutting back on my food intake. Paulie’s pants are too tight.
Merry Christmas, Jackmobile!
Christmas has come early for the Jackmobile. Over the past few months I’ve been routinely checking the air pressure and adding air to its tires as needed. This morning I said “Enough!” as I saw the passenger-side front tire was looking as if it could go flat at any time.
With a Firestone right next to my office I stopped in to put on the “final” set of tires that I will be getting for the Jackmobile; the car is eleven years old and currently has about 168,000 miles so I don’t expect to keep it for more than two years / 40k miles, whichever comes first.
Rubber ain’t cheap, especially at this Firestone. While I could have ordered tires and had them shipped to Firestone, or had shopped around I am sure that I could have saved some money (perhaps a substantial amount) but I just don’t have the time and luxury for this sort of activity at the moment. If all goes to plan I will be able to walk around the corner and pick up the Jackmobile and drive off on its new tires this afternoon.
Had I had more foresight I even would have cleaned out the trunk so that they could get to the spare and check it out. Note to self: Check out the Jackmobile’s spare tire situation.
ITP Flickr Pic
Actually with the lack of sun I took a much “better” photo of the ITP-Estate this morning. I’ve just not had the opportunity to upload it to Flickr.
Parking Pet Peeve
I found out yesterday that I have to pay “only” $5/day to attend the CocoaConf Conference at the Hilton near the airport. I know it’s not unusual for hotels to charge for parking, but for fuck’s sake, the multi-hundreds of dollars that I spent for this three-day affair should include free parking.
Today’s Personal Project
Sadly I have too much to do in order to make it to this month’s meetup of the the Atlanta iOS Developers. I’m sure I’ll be seeing a lot of the Friday and Saturday at CocoaConf.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – poorer
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – Yesterday I found GrindTV (a subsidiary of Yahoo!) and their article about Seven Essentials For Cool Weather Cycling.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – 214 pounds (November 11)
Foot Mileage – ~7.5 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 11
Carnivorous Meals – 18
Marta Rides To Work – 5
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber, an animal ridder, and a tree person to work on the ITP Estate
– dissolve Sharpened Stone, LLC
– follow up on some critical life details
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams
- Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness — by CC Chapman
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love — by Cal Newport
- Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life — by Steve Martin
- Who Am I: A Memoir — by Pete Townshend
- Still Foolin’ ‘Em: Where I’ve Been, Where I’m Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys? — by Billy Crystal
- Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good — Andrew J. Mellen