Things have been a bit quite around here lately so I think that I’m going to make this the last day of my blogging week. I’ll be back on Monday as I’ll have time as I wait for the painting company to come out and give me an estimate on painting the soffit and iron work, as well as stucco ceiling repair/replacement in my living room. The painting is needed to cover up the bare wood installed last week. Once that task is completed (and paid for) I will start looking for a plumber to, no not that, get all my sinks functioning perfectly again (fix water shutoff valves, install new faucets, etc). It may then be decision time for doing the major plumbing repair, replacing the upstairs windows, or bringing in a realtor.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Lie on your back, raise your upper body, extend your legs into the air, and make five “V” shapes.
This exercise is great for your core, because it requires that you engage muscles in both your back and abdomen! It also provides a nice stretch for your thighs as you extend into your Vs.
Maybe later, probably not. Admittedly I do need to start exercising again, however.
Feeling Punk, Lucky?
About the only thing that got me through yesterday, remember I started the day around 3:30am, and then received some disappointing news after lunch, was iTunes Radio’s “Classic Punk & Hardcore” station. I am really digging remembering the loud music of my youth, it almost makes me feel young again.
ITP Flickr Pic
Ha! I will at least one to display next week, it will be a collage of shots with potential eyeglass frames for a future purchase.
How Does “Professor Paulie” Sound?
With the weather outside being frightful the drinking gang (soon to be chipped away at by a coworker departure — not me) went over to Taco Mac for a few post-work pops.
While I was drinking beer #552, or was it #553, I saw that I need to reach 575 in order to obtain the title “Professor.” To think that I’d already have this title if not for the Week 1 NFL SNAFU at that Taco Mac in the Prado. DANGEN!
(psst: I have been planning this for two years and I think it is going to happen in 2014 –> “Paulie’s Tour de Taco Mac”, a bike ride from Dunwoody to Decatur with stops at Perimeter, Prado, Lindbergh, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, and Decatur. About the only “in town” Taco Mac not visited is CNN Center, just because it’s too far out of the way. The return trip will either be on MARTA, or will happen the next day to retrieve my car.)
Last night was a lot of fun as I limited myself to two beers and a scant amount of food. By the time I left Taco Mac traffic had subsided (except around the Grady Curve -> I-20, so I hopped off at Courtland) and was home early enough curl up under some blankets and catch up on some of the sleep I missed last night.
I Either Have To “Remount The Horse” Or “Take The Bull By The Horns”
I’m not sure which of those sayings is more appropriate but on this extended weekend I need to (re)start my efforts to become a more proficient iOS developer, as well as learn to speak/read German. Additionally I also need to determine whether or not Sharpened Stone, LLC will go out of business (I use the term “business” loosely since its creation has cost me more money than its made) by the end of Fiscal 2013, and start seriously planning my vacation to Brussels next year.
Today’s Personal Project
Remind myself that it’s not okay to drink as much alcohol as I’d like to, lest I want major difficulties in life later on; that, and finish my health benefits selection for next year.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – disappointed
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – Here’s a story about the new balloons for this year’s Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Of course the high winds forecasted for New York tomorrow may put the kibosh on some of these.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – 216 pounds (November 25)
Foot Mileage – ~18.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – on hold until December
Carnivorous Meals – on hold until December
Marta Rides To Work – 5
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber, an animal ridder, and a tree person to work on the ITP Estate
– dissolve Sharpened Stone, LLC
– follow up on some critical life details
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams
- Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness — by CC Chapman
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love — by Cal Newport
- Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life — by Steve Martin
- Who Am I: A Memoir — by Pete Townshend
- Still Foolin’ ‘Em: Where I’ve Been, Where I’m Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys? — by Billy Crystal
- Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good — Andrew J. Mellen
Give yourself 4 days to learn German? That could never fail, huh?
We delivered our houseguests back to their mom last night, meeting her at a Zaxby’s at exit 61. This is a smart woman, but for some reason, thinks exits do not come in order, as she rolled past 61, to 56 and back, in order to find us. Distracted much? As she was over an hour late due to traffic and her scenic tour, there was little else happening last night.
We do have a 6th dog on a short term basis. A very sweet girl named Cassie (unlike my first wife Cass- not a sweet girl :-).
I hope you (and the assembled readership) have a great Turkey Day. Our best to the Raleigh royalty.
I have a terrible habit of starting projects and then abandoning them so I need to kick myself in the ass and return to them. Think of the German proficiency I’d have had I not stopped in my twenties, and then again in my thirties. Sadly I only have but eighteen months left in my forties, you know…
Will do, Steve. Hope you and the Southern Contingency do as well.
You also have a habit of setting unrealistic goals/expectations for yourself, thus setting yourself up to fail.
I’m ‘working at home’ today…and since it is the day before thanksgiving it means I really don’t have much to do. Later this week, I may organize some files and tidy up a database or two but that’s about it.
I skipped my run with Sharon this morning, not because I’m lazy (which I am) but because I’m smart. That was quite some weather we had first thing this morning. I’m heading to the gym at 11 for a fitness assessment. Clearly, seeing a number on the scale isn’t doing it for me, so maybe having a stranger tell me I’m fat and out of shape may be what I need.
Have a great weekend everyone!
While potentially true I don’t think “learning to speak/read German before I die” is not an unrealistic goal. 😉
I hate being sick, but I’ve made it the whole day, I guess I’m getting better…..
Good thing, I’ve got bout 20 people coming over tomorrow for dinner.