Nor I a big loser, either.
My pants selection today are reminding me of this…
Today’s Daily Challenge
Stand with your hands on your chest, jump up, open your arms and legs, and repeat seven times.
This challenge brings all sorts of star power! It’s a nice way to stretch arms and legs if you’ve been sitting or standing for a while. It opens up the chest and shoulders. Best of all, it injects a moment of heart-healthy activity into your day and can give you an energy boost.
While doing this I require you to repeat the following:
I came to get down
I came to get down
So get out your seats and jump around
Jump up, jump up and get down.
Spreading My Wealth, Through Paint?
December is traditionally the month in which I solicit suggestions for my “charitable” donations. As in past years I’ve earmarked $500 to give to local charities, this year will be no different. If you have a charity to which you’d like to see me donate a portion of that $500 please leave a comment.
It will be slightly more difficult to give this money away this year as my largest “charity” — the ITP Estate — seems to be sucking up “disposable” income hand-over-fist.
Yesterday I pulled the trigger on hiring the painting company to come out and paint the outer-doors, window trim (though I don’t know about the still-smashed window’s trim), soffit and carport, and all ironwork, as well as patch the two problem spots on my living room ceiling.
I think I will be putting the brakes on house repairs until January 2014 (which really isn’t that far away!) so that I can do a little more financial budgeting for the year in which I will be taking at least two trips.
ITP Flickr Pic
“My Companion, While I Still Can”
I love beer. SHOCKER! But beer has not done me well of late so I think we will break up at some time later in life. However, while we are still on a companionship basis I will enjoy it thoroughly.
(shot taken on Sunday)
Dave & Buster’s + Funtime Bowling
As mentioned yesterday we celebrated our office
Christmas Holiday Party at Dave & Buster’s. Unfortunately the food was pretty terrible. Even more unfortunately I did not win any of the iPads, Nexus 7s, or Note 3s given away during the raffle. All was not a total loss however. I hung around a couple of coworkers playing games and together we amassed 2500+ tickets. We donated all of the tickets we won to the girl, err woman (she’s 25), whose birthday it was on Saturday. She in turn got herself a D&B pint glass and got two packs of trivia cards — 80’s TV, 90’s Music — which she donated to me. If she weren’t a coworker, twenty-five, and married I think I’d have a shot with her! Did I mention that her father is a year younger than I am? LOL.
Following Dave & Buster’s four of us went bowling at Funtime Bowl on Buford Highway to celebrate her birthday. I can’t say that it was the greatest celebration however, as it turns out that the birthday girl and our coworker / her roommate (who is leaving for Colorado in ten days) are currently fighting. I didn’t let that dampen my spirits as I averaged 140 for the two games bowled and was awed by a guy who bowled a 230+ on the lanes next to us (he had ten strikes, and two open frames I believe), all while sucking down two Red Hook Longhammer IPAs which were $3.27 each. Yes Virginia, there are still places in Atlanta where you can get a beer for less than $5.50 a pop.
By the time I arrived home I had no more time than to take out the recycling bin and chat with my mother on the phone for twenty-five minutes before calling it a night.
I Am The FUTURE!
The Holiday Party started at 4pm.
Then there was the 3:30pm meeting out of which I could not get.
However, people wanted to carpool, so I devised a plan.
As long as I wasn’t driving there was nothing from stopping me from dialing in to the call on our way to Dave & Buster’s. Sure, I could have done this the traditional way, using my iPhone, but I had a “better” plan. Because my iPad has an LTE data plan I was able to hook up my USB headset via the iPad’s camera connection kit dongle, and use Skype to dial in.
And my rig even worked well!
Now if only I had won one of the iPad Mini’s yesterday…
Today’s Personal Project
Start doing more things on my “to do” list.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – fat, but getting a bit better.
Current Music – silence at the moment, though I may be switching to Christmas music shortly.
Website Of The Day – Teller (of Penn and Teller) has directed a documentary, “Tim’s Vermeer”, about the guy who reengineered one of Vermeer’s greatest paintings. Read this Vanity Fair article to find out more. I can’t wait to see this documentary.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – ??? pounds (December 9)
Foot Mileage – ~0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 11
Carnivorous Meals – 16
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber, and a painter to work on the ITP Estate
– dissolve Sharpened Stone, LLC?
– follow up on some critical life details
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams
- Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness — by CC Chapman
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love — by Cal Newport
- Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life — by Steve Martin
- Who Am I: A Memoir — by Pete Townshend
- Still Foolin’ ‘Em: Where I’ve Been, Where I’m Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys? — by Billy Crystal
- Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good — Andrew J. Mellen