As days go I can’t rack up yesterday as one consisting of much winning. My greatest accomplishments were not getting fired, leaving early enough to beat a lot of traffic to midtown, and making it to the monthly Atlanta iOS Developers meetup.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Move measuring cups to a prominent spot in the kitchen, such as near snacks or next to the fridge.
Knowing the serving size of a food is only useful if you can actually measure out that amount when it’s time to eat. By keeping your measuring cups close by, you’ll be more likely to portion out the right amount of food.
Mine have been there for years. Perhaps the addendum to this task should be “and use them for measuring out your servings!”
Though I just may have made it midtown with ample time to do a workout at the nearby LA Fitness I veered left and went into The Barrelhouse for a few beers. I was abstaining from eating because there was mention of free pizza and soft drinks at the iOS Developers Meetup. While sitting at the bar I received an email informing me that the free food/drinks fell through, so I promptly ordered two, $2 tacos and a $4 side of roasted Brussels sprouts (the Brussels sprouts never materialized so I was not charged for these). While I was eating my tacos I received another email informing me that another company had picked up the free pizza/drinks campaign and there would be free food after all.
The night was a moving (non-emotional for me) experience:
- We found out that come February the meetings would be moved from the third Tuesday of the month to the second Tuesday of the month.
- I found out that the group’s leader was heading back to work for Turner, after a much-talked-about departure not much more than six months ago. Apparently the startup for which he left Turner is “pivoting.”
- I found out that one of the frequent speakers, and a developer with whom I was trying to associate, is moving his family to Missouri because it’s closer to family and his wife got a job up there.
Since the first presentation of the evening went on longer than expected I moved onto to home before the second presenter started, and I had a chance to decide to go to the on-after at Cypress Street Pint & Plate.
Early To Bed, Not Too Early To Rise
Arriving home at 9:00pm should have provided me with ample time to do many things around the house. Perhaps it was finding out that the City of Atlanta neither took my garbage nor my recycling yesterday (I know, Monday was a holiday, but Tuesday is my day!) ticked me off and sent me into a bad mood.
With the house being chilly (are we experiencing another polar vortex?) I got under the covers to work. Before long my eyelids were heavy and I was out like a light, in a fully-lit room no less.
The inevitable happened around 3:00am — I was wide awake. So I made the best lemonade out of the lemons I was being dealt and worked a two-part iOS tutorial which may help me with a personal project in the near future. Yay me!
By 4:30am I was tired again. I slept until 5:00am, when the first alarm trigged. I turned that alarm off and went back to sleep until the second one triggered at 5:30am. I promptly turned that alarm off as well and gleefully slept until 7:00am.
Here coffee, coffee. Heeeeere, coffee, coffee!
ITP Flickr Pic
I have ideas, I just need to devote time and execute. (see also: iOS development)
Who’s The Cool Kid That’s Mentholated?
That’d be me.
The past two days I’ve taken to using Tiger Balm yesterday (which ran out yesterday), and CVS’ Tiger Balm ripoff today on my left foot. While I’m not sure if it’ll help my foot stay warm and limber, I am fairly sure that my current “aroma” will make it even that much harder for me to attract a woman — unless of course she’s into the “injured” type.
Today’s Personal Project
Go to LA Fitness for a weight lifting workout and then return home to clean my bedroom.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – okay
Current Music – silence, though I could use some pick-me-up music.
Website Of The Day – Should I be ashamed or proud to say that I’ve been to all but one of “Atlanta’s Best Craft Beer Bars” as listed by Thrillist?
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing (boooo! hissssss!)
Morning Weigh-In – Oops, I failed to check. Let’s say 215 pounds.
Foot Mileage – ~18.6 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 4 (2 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
– have European trip plans in place, if not carved in stone
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014