People always accuse me of being negative and never accept the reason I am is because the shittiest things seem to happen to me. I try to be a “good” person and do the “right” thing but year after year I am dealt challenges.
Remember my concern on Friday when I posted this photo?
I would love life if that’s the way my face looked today and won’t subject you to the horror that I saw in the mirror just before I started typing this at 5:00am.
Nope, as with everything in my life things have gotten worse.
On Saturday morning the bubbling was slightly larger and there was noticeable swelling under my eye again. I managed to knock back the swelling with ice. When getting ready to go out and get a haircut my shirt rubbed up against the bubble and popped it, I was able to press out all of their liquid with a tissue. While chatting with the woman who cuts my hair she mentioned a walk-in clinic on Ponce to which she’s taken her kids, given that my doctor has no hours on the weekend I figured that it couldn’t hurt to have someone look at the situation.
The doctor at the clinic diagnosed the irritation as shingles (yes, I had Chicken Pox as a child) and prescribed medication. I still have my doubts about this, but then again I am no doctor. I stopped by Target to fill the prescription ($47) and pretty much spent the rest of Saturday at home, either sleeping or applying ice packs to my face.
Imagine my dismay when things were even worse on Sunday; the swelling was larger and I was unable to knock it back completely with ice any longer. Sunday turned into another day completely on the couch either sleep, watching videos on my computer or iPad, and attempting to understand some code for work.
Today things are worse still. I can only hope that today’s doctor visit solves this mysterious outbreak, which by the way also has generated some swelling on the left side of my face near my jaw now.
Needless to say my weekend (remember just a week ago when I boasted about how much I was enjoying the weekends?) was absolutely ruined — I skipped the concert on Friday night, I didn’t go to the concert in Athens on Saturday night, I neither went to the beer festival nor met my boss for lunch on Sunday. The outlook for today, though I had nothing but going to work planned, doesn’t look great either.
Sorry, I’m not a pessimist, I’m a realist. Shitty things don’t happen to me because I am negative, I am negative because shitty things keep happening to me. I was proud of myself for working out and abstaining from beer on Wednesday night and then this occurred.
Things could always be worse, of that I am certain but be thankful you are not living my life.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Review the warning signs of a heart attack.
Heart attack is a leading killer of both men and women, and getting help fast can save your life and limit damage to the heart. Recognizing the symptoms is critical, however – and they aren’t always limited to chest pain and discomfort. By familiarizing yourself with these signs and symptoms, you make it more likely that you’ll know when to call for help.
Nope, not going to give a shit about that today.
Today’s Personal Project
I don’t really care about anything.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – sad, if this whole eye issue wasn’t bad enough, I’ve not been able to work out since last Wednesday, and my “opportunity” dried up on Friday
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – Couch time has given me the chance to catch up on The Ricky Gervais Show.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – n/a
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – Oops, I failed to check. Let’s say 215 pounds.
Foot Mileage – ~18.6 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 5 (2 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
– have European trip plans in place, if not carved in stone
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014