And not in a nice, Florida Gator way. Work is really getting to me. After leaving the office at 7pm and getting stuck in shitty-ass traffic I wound my way home via Virginia-Highland. I was startled to see some hashers standing outside of George’s until I realized that it was Wednesday night. Had I not made a pact with myself to cook at home, and had I not had even more work to do after I ate a late dinner I would have parked the car and seen who remained inside of George’s.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Add one veggie from the brassica family, such as broccoli, kale, or cabbage, to your grocery list.
You can’t beat veggies from the brassica family! They contain phytochemicals, which are believed to lessen the risk of some cancers. These veggies are also an excellent source of vitamins C, E, and K. Finally, they provide a healthy dose of fiber, which helps you feel full and promotes good digestion.
I’m not big on broccoli nor kale, but I do like cabbages. I wonder if Brussels sprouts fall into this family?
What’s That Racquet?
A few nights ago I dug out my old bag of racquetball equipment (did you know that when I used to play regularly — in the mid/late 1990s that I wore medium shorts?) to prepare to knock the blue ball around a bit with my boss tonight after work. It will be interesting to find out which muscle groups I’ve been ignoring for far too long.
Today’s Personal Project
Get out of work at a decent time and exercise, which shouldn’t be too hard since I have a racquetball date with the boss at 6pm.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – harried
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – I should have picked Cartlanta (an admittedly dumb marketing name) as my pick Tuesday when the City of Atlanta picks up recycling from my street..
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – Arg, I keep forgetting to jump on the scale
Foot Mileage – ~3.9 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– have Austin CocoaConf trip plans in place (new)
– exercise no fewer than twenty days (new)
– ride my bike no fewer than five times (new)
– have European trip plans in place, if not carved in stone
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
– publish an app to the iOS AppStore
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon
I haven’t played racketball in years!! I think the first wife and I tried to play- once.
I got wood from Dunkin Honut and Little Easy!! OK, I picked up the boards they didn’t want to take to CO. Sadly, Michelle had an errand to run in Vinings, so I didn’t get to see her.
The dogs and horses have survived my care. I left them to their own devices while I suffered for a half hour last night, then threw them out this morning as I fed the ponies and showered. The dogs are certainly not used to being locked up all day, so I’m trying to get them out as much as possible. There was actually a little traffic when I drove north to College Park this morning- who knew?
I know we have a raquetball racket on the deck for swatting carpenter bees, but I bet if we looked hard enough there might be another one around somewhere. I used to play occasionally at an apartment complex I lived in that had courts back in the early/mid 90s. I realized I have terrible depth perception, so I was not very good. And yes Paulie, you will really feel some different muscles you don’t remember you have tomorrow.
I was being suzie homemaker last night & decided to make some baked potato soup. I had 2 baked potatoes that didn’t get eaten from Saturday night (2 people bailed on dinner), and was thinking – what could I do with them? It really was pretty good, but I’m sure the cheese & bacon helped a lot. I might cook extra potatoes next time we do baked potatoes & do that again.
Everyone keep your fingers crossed that Michelle & Drew’s closing doesn’t have a last minute hiccup today. Since the house is empty, that would totally suck.
Holy crap! I didn’t realize they hadn’t closed yet.
And this late report from the horse show- it’s raining cats and dogs and Debbie had to get “burly boys” to push her truck out of the mud. Epic.
from something I saw on FB – Paulie – ever been to this restaurant?
The Ultimate Pancake
The Restaurant: Rosebud (Atlanta, GA)
What makes it the Ultimate? That’d be sausage, bacon, and scrambled eggs stuffed inside a syrup-drenched pancake. Needless to say, this prizefighter definitely earned its belt.
and – sorry- that above comment is not helping the idea of losing weight & getting in shape.
I’ve been to Rosebud, it’s in Morningside/Va-Hi. It’s delish, in general. Might have to give that Ultimate Pancake a try after I finally manage to lose this holiday/SnowJam weight. Which is going really, really slowly. Martha, can I please get your food poisoning? Kthanxbai.