It was a fun, if not a little wet weekend. To be fair, the rain which arrived Saturday night didn’t dampen the fun, but it did make packing up my camping gear a chore. In theory I was camping undercover in a pavilion, but the pavilion wasn’t large enough to completely cover more two four-person REI tents, so my tent was only partly covered.

On Friday Bonnie and I drove our respective cars to Brevard, NC. Our destination was a Outdoor store/bar called The Hub, which is located conveniently across the street from a brewery called Ecusta Brewing. If Ecusta sounds familiar it’s because I visited it on my last visit to Brevard. When I arrived at The Hub I found part of the party with whom we’d be camping. Friday night was a comfortable night of camping, drinking, eating, and sitting around a campfire.

On Saturday morning the majority of the group was headed to the French Broad river for some kayaking, which is not exactly my bag. Instead, Bonnie and I chose hiking, which interested no one else. She and I did a nice six-mile hike covering the Cat Gap and John Rock trails in Pisgah National Forest. On our drive back to camp we eschewed stopping for beer, choosing to drink and snack at camp instead. Saturday night was another one around a campfire after eating a communal taco night dinner.

And then the rain came down (and to be truthful I was already in bed).

After packing up yesterday Bonnie and I decided to take the scenic route (read “toward new breweries”). We stopped in Cashiers, NC at Whiteside Brewing, which unfortunately was sold out of their only in-house IPA, so we didn’t stay. We then drove to Highlands, NC and stopped for a beer at Satulah Mountain Brewing; the only difficulty here was finding parking. From Highlands we drove to Clayton, GA where we stopped at Currahee Brewing for another pint before making it back to Atlanta. Needless to say, I was beat upon arriving home, and my night was a very short one after eating dinner.

This morning found me putting away camping gear, and now finds me out choring in WLF — mostly watering the crops.

If a start for tonight’s hash ever gets posted I may go, if not I intend to try to start figuring out how I’m going to love the rest of my life — no biggie.

Hope you had a nice and healthy weekend.

This entry was posted in My Daily Life. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to 2021-06-28

  1. Bonnie says:

    Lurker—how was the GA400? I hope it didn’t rain here. One of our campmates had to leave early so his band, Brewery Road, could play at the afterparty (or whatever you call it).

    • If Alpharetta received the same amount of rain as WLF then I think the only moisture Lurker encountered was sweat. 😂

    • ITP Lurker says:

      That is a BRUTAL course. I’m glad it’s being put out of it’s misery. 😉 It rained for half the day, at points it was stinging my face. I’ll post a more complete debrief later today or tomorrow. I made it all the way through, and I’m glad I rode it.

  2. Bonnie says:

    Speaking of GA 400, I will be driving up it this morning to do some paid product testing! Woot!

  3. Morning choring done. Everything looks “fine”, but nothing other than some green beans and some Asian greens are ready to be harvested.

    Battling a little poison ivy, I hope it will go away on its own.

  4. Steve says:

    There was much debris pickup from the side pasture. This will hopefully be the first pasture fenced- though they all will be completed later this week, we hope.

    Saturday, Debbie returned from her ride and had heard enough of my badgering to take me on a ride. I saddled up Sonny with a western saddle (I’m not sure we have an English to fit him and the owner provided a western) and we went out for a nice 3 mile ride. He was a perfect gentleman and except for ducking branches, was the first ride ever with Debbie nearby that I didn’t land on the ground.

    I’m sure by now you’ve all seen the crash from Saturday’s opening stage of the TdF. Just unbelievable. Then the peloton managed to do it to themselves again late in the race. Sunday was a great stage, with Raymond Polidor’s grandson winning the stage in a decisive way.

    In the orifice on Wednesday and thinking about hanging around for dinner at George’s. Any takers?


    • I saw the crash on YouTube. What an asshole “fan”.

      Just turned on the TdF, it’s going to take many years for me not to expect to hear Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen (RIP) do the commentary.

      If for some reason Betsy cancels Wednesday I’ll join you. I won’t know until the day, however.

      • Steve says:

        So the concert Saturday was a great show- even better when we decided not to attend in person and live stream it! Debbie had a previous engagement (which she blew off) and we had a delightful sushi dinner followed by the concert. It was very strange- there was no one on the roads and by the time we left the sushi bar, there was no one there. Everyone at the concert?

        What is your email address these days?

    • Bonnie says:

      I’ll check with the husband and see what we’re up to on Wednesday…

  5. I am taking interest in the different growth of tomato plants planted in 3 and 5 gallon grow bags versus those planted directly into the ground. It’s no surprise that the latter have grown much larger, though they have not yet produced fruit.

  6. Well, after Bonnie sent me info about tonight’s hash I think that I will pass. Instead I will do some more outdoor choring, WLF and lawn mowing, before whatever rain predicted for this week arrives.

  7. Steve says:

    Tour de CARNAGE!!

    Holy crap.

Comments are closed.