Did you feel that rumble in the ground yesterday about 9am? No, it wasn’t an earthquake, I washed the M6! (imagine the mind-blowing emoji here) I looked at my car on Saturday and realized that after an eternity of driving through winter muck, spring pollen, and Florida love bugs that it was long overdue for a douching. Now I need to get into the interior with a vacuum and dust rag.

Yesterday I made the decision to sign up for the BRAG shuttle from Augusta to Clayton. Since Stan is the only Chattahooligan south of I-20 and he and “Long and Red” already have a plan, I decided that the shuttle was my least complicated option. This way I never have to navigate traffic north of I-20 and will conveniently have my car at the end if the Saturday night post BRAG party happens. Since BRAG will be my only vacation this year, except for some short camping excursions that I that I intend to take, the extra $105 outlay doesn’t bother me too much.

I did manage to get out for a 25 mile bike ride yesterday afternoon. While doing so my right knee still bothered me, and I was further bothered to find a second crack in the screen of my Wahoo ELEMNT Roam computer. I have little confidence that my tape bodge will keep water out now that there are inexplicably two cracks, so I ordered a new computer. “What’s the point of having money if you can’t squander it, right?” says the man with no current income. I also uncharacteristically purchased insurance for the new computer which hopefully will replace it free of cost if this one also experiences mysterious screen cracking.

For dinner last night I made this incredible Curried Carrot and Red Lentil Soup, to which I added the last of my WLF leeks and a couple of French Breakfast radishes.

I solved today’s Wordle in two attempts; my starter today was INLET.

This entry was posted in My Daily Life. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to 2023-05-22

  1. steve says:

    Wordle in 4. Nice deuce.

    Saturday was 28 with the gravel group out of Haralson. When I got back to the car, I could barely walk. The drive home was a challenge and when I bent down to free Fig from her box, I just about passed out, but managed to fall into my recliner. Maybe my blood pressure med is working too well? A note to the doctor today.

    Friday night and last night I spent beating my head against a wall in the form of a Para Cycling online test. I know the guy who wrote the test (rumored) as a previous instructor of mine and he was an SOB then. Fortunately, you can take the test as many times as you need to to score the 80%. I’ve come close a few times… I believe this testing was the reason I didn’t sleep well last night. Ugh.


    • Well done on the ride. Hope the rest is an easy fix.

      In addition to my other issues, I’ve been mildly suffering from shin splints recently.

      Good luck with the test. Sleep well and nail it!

  2. Slow day today, or perhaps very busy one?

    Apple still hasn’t fixed the Mail app crashing with iPadOS 16.5. Frustrating.

  3. steve says:

    A slow day for Fed business as well, so I took the test again and PASSED! ’bout F’ing time. This and $.50 gets me a cup of coffee.

  4. Bob says:

    Started gathering all my crap for BRAG yesterday, made sure I had all the tent stakes I need and all the other random crap. Hard to believe it is only 2 weeks away. Can’t wait!

  5. It appears that Mark Cavendish is going to retire at the end of the racing season.

    • steve says:

      He turned 38 yesterday. I think he might yet pick up a stage this year, he’s certainly doesn’t have the afterburners like he once did.

  6. Barb says:

    well – the cell signal wasn’t strong enough to use my phone as a hotspot to work, so we needed to hightail it out of the campground so I could get home, of course Monday morning is always busy.

    Camping up at Allatoona was fun, nice hike at Red Top Sunday morning. Met a 90s FL hasher friend (Itchy Bitch) – who is solo camping with a camper -so she had a few questions for Allan about how everything works.

  7. Trying something new today, just made a jar of pickled French Breakfast radishes. I have no idea how this will turn out.

  8. David says:

    I’m not going to talk about Wordle today. I missed a fail by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin. Kudos to you though Paulie, I don’t know that I would have gotten there in two starting with INLET. Well, maybe, now that I write it out. I thought I had Wordle in 3 yesterday but was robbed, I used BRASS as my third answer but BRASH was the correct choice. Fucking Wordle.

    It was a magnificent weekend. On Saturday I finished out my series of dance workshop classes. What lies ahead in that regard? More ballet/barre classes. I don’t even know who I am these days, and I’m good with that. The structure of ballet makes a ton of sense of me, and the body weight workouts are no joke. I also swam a half mile Saturday afternoon, caught the last half of my friend’s band playing at the Ormewood Makers Festival, and hung out with several different folks. Then my son and I went on a five mile walk with our dogs that included at stop at Big Softie in Summerhill.

    Yesterday I swam another 1/2 mile, that’s a mile for the weekend for those of you keeping score at home. That is now de rigueur for me, and yet just a couple of months ago I was too intimidated to get into the lap lanes. Thank god for the huge mental leaps I am able to make from time to time. Then I took the kids to see their 82 year old grandmother Claire, who is showing the way with regard how to age. We did a 3 or 4 mile hike at Banning Mills that included two suspension bridges. Claire is so bad ass and inspiring. After returning home I laid on the couch for 90 minutes and then got a second wind and got out on my bike. I haven’t been riding much this year, and I invited my 15 year old daughter, who probably hasn’t been on her bike in at least a year. We ambled around for 2 hours and had an amazing time. She wants to ride more this summer. Swimming, hiking, biking, all in one day? Yes, please! I am so here for more weekends like that.

    Airtags arrived and are on my dogs collars. I’ll report back in a few days once I have some better experience with them.

    • Great weekend! I visited the Makers Fest briefly, eating a Red’s Beer Garden hot dog for lunch. Trying to get rid of things makes not buying art much easier.

      • David says:

        Doesn’t it, though! I wasn’t tempted by anything in the least, and one of my friends gave me a beer he’d brought from home so that I didn’t have to pay the street price.

        • I didn’t want to deal with buying a beer ticket, so I drank water with my lunch.

          • David says:

            They also didn’t make it clear were to buy the beer tickets, so that ensured that I didn’t have a second beer, which was fine with me. I didn’t see any beer that looked appealing at the one tent that I looked at.

  9. Bob says:

    Saturday was a pretty big day that started on Friday. Friday I smoked 15 pounds of pork, pulled it and put it in the fridge. Saturday morning I had about 50 people show up at my house for the annual ChattaHooligan Hooliduro. There were 9 downhill stages, 7 timed and 2 mass starts. Total mileage was over 27 for the day. I broke my chain between stages 8 and 9 so did stage 9 with no chain and had to run the uphills. Upon returning to my house I had 50 really hungry mountain bikers. Heated up the pork and sauteed peppers and onions on the blackstone and fed the masses. Such a great time and respectful crowd, when they left you could not tell they were here. I am still tired from the day.

Comments are closed.