I’m thinking of going there.
Who Knows Anything About Winnipeg?
Other than the fact that it is in the province of Manitoba which sits directly North of Minnesota?
If I act quickly, hell if you act quickly, a round-trip flight from Atlanta to Winnipeg (with an inevitable layover in Chicago) can be had from United for $226. No shit.
I keep juggling my 2009 photography vacation plans and this just may be the (round) ticket. My only problem is that I really don’t know much about Winnipeg and am not sure how photogenic that part Canada is.
Anyone have information they are willing to share? Oh, I’d be considering going May/June so there might not be snow on the ground then.
Loaded And Locked
Yesterday I was unable to get the Jackmobile loaded up with goodies destined for Goodwill. In part I was hampered by an overflowing hamper-load of laundry including the coverings for my basement sofa.
Today is very different. Even though the weather forecast for later is sketchy (80% chance of rain), I’ll be driving over to Goodwill to dump off the first “good riddance” load of 2009. Damn it feels great to start purging stuff from my house.
Thank You Necessity For Being The Mother Of Invention
Because I had loaded the Jackmobile full of crap I essentially sentenced myself to a night at home. Normally this wouldn’t be too bad, but my cupboards are nearly barren, and I am trying not to dirty many dishes.
With a boatload of white rice in the house I decided that steamed rice would be the main entree for the evening. But what is more bland than white rice? “Rice cakes.” Okay, good point.
Rummaging through my cupboards wasn’t providing much . I then stumbled upon a packet of A Taste of Thai Peanut Sauce Mix and decided to experiment.
- 1 heaping cup of uncooked white rice
- 2.5 cups of water
- 1 packet of A Taste of Thai Peanut Sauce Mix
- a pinch of kosher salt
- Place rice, salt, and peanut sauce mix into a large pan
- Pour water over rice and peanut sauce mix, stir to dissolve mix
- Heat over medium heat until water begins to boil
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, cooked lidded for 16 minutes
- Turn heat off, without removing lid let pot stand for 10 minutes
- Take off lid and fluff rice with a fork
I had no idea if this experiment was going to work out. But Holy Jeebus did this make some delicious peanut-flavored rice! Before eating I stirred in some red curry paste to incorporate a little extra flavor.
No photos were taken of the dish because
a) It was just rice after all
b) I ate the rice out of a disposable paper bowl — not very photogenic
I Will Not Miss Top Chef! I Will Not Miss Top Chef!
I have been stewing about the fact that I missed last week’s “Restaurant Wars” episode of Top Chef. All week I’ve been checking the legal online sources — Hulu, DishONLINE, Joost, as well as Bravo‘s — to no avail. Damn I’ve been frustrated. Tonight is an All-New episode of Top Chef and I refuse to miss it.
I Am Chopping Chopped From My Viewing Schedule
Last night I attempted to enjoy Food Network‘s “Chopped.” Chopped is the hour-long (tv time) cooking competition during which four “chefs” vie for $10,000. I’ve seen two full episodes and fallen asleep during one. I am not enthralled and in an economy in which my free time is extremely limited have decided to repurpose that hour of my life.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – good, oddly so because I am not losing weight, haven’t exercised in weeks, and have fallen way behind in my self-imposed training
Current Music – listening to the “This Week In Photography” podcast
Website Of The Day – Today I might look at CastTV to see if they have last week’s Top Chef.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – notta effen thing
Foot Mileage – 3 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 28 (28)
Vegetarian Days – 5
Carnivorous Days – 22
Marta Rides – 0
– Complete all necessary work on the dining room (not going to lie, I picked an easy room first)
– Lose no fewer than two pounds
– Run no fewer than 50 miles
– Reduce my weight to 190 pounds (today’s weight was 199.5 pounds)
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the Jalapeño Beach SmugMug account I opened the other day.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in Objective-C (iPhone development) and Ruby on Rails (Black Sheep web page concept)
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem