With the exception of the loss of a sock, which probably never made it to the laundromat, last night was interesting and fruitful. Laundry and dinner (another amazing $3 sandwich from Lee’s Bakery) were done by 8:30pm EDT and passed out before 10:00pm.
Two Pauls, One Cake
Yesterday I had a good laugh at the office. I’ll preface this story by letting you know that I am one of only a handful of people who get in to the office before 8am.
When I arrived there was a partially-eaten birthday cake on which you could easily see the words “Happy Birthday Paul”. At one time my office contained five Pauls, but over the years we’ve been whittled down to two. Knowing that it wasn’t my birthday, less the cake be nearly a month old, I naturally assumed the other Paul was the supplier of the cake. Imagine my surprise when I wished him a happy birthday only to find out that he was not responsible for bringing in the cake either!
We never figured out who brought the cake in, but it sure was tasty.
Luckily I am a cynic, and one who has not purchased much from Buy.com recently because they are participating in a business practice that I find deplorable.
Recently it has been exposed that when finishing a purchase from Buy.com (and I’ve heard Orbitz as well) you are presented with the opportunity to receive a coupon. However, by accepting this offer you are allowing them to sign you up for a “web loyalty” program which charges your credit card monthly! Read the fine print if you don’t believe me. Worse yet, I have heard that see nothing wrong with this practice.
I, for one, have decided to stop giving Buy.com my business until they change their business practice.
What’s Up With The Pluot?
Pluot – a hybrid fruit created by combining a plum with an apricot.
- I first heard about pluots from my nephew Eric who mentioned that he had started buying them in Manhattan on his way to work.
- I then heard about pluots a few days later in a story done by NPR.
- And then I heard about pluots from someone else.
All of which happened in a span of about eight days so naturally I figured that it was time for me to try them.
While I had heard of pluots from three independent sources I still didn’t expect them to be readily available in stores so I put out a request for help finding them. Much to my surprise I was told they were available in Publix, Kroger, Whole Foods, Your Dekalb Farmers Market. Yesterday I also found that they are available at Super Target.
Pluots are plum-sized, have a color comprised of those from red plums and apricots. Sadly, the pluots I purchased didn’t live up to the hype; the ones I purchased are fairly bland and have a surprisingly juice-less, gelatinous body.
Happy Birthday Wishes
Today is the birthday of long-time friend, occasional photostroll companion, and ITP-Reader Stacy (aka “Cheese Nips” or “Dixie Cheese” depending on your point of reference). Happy Birthday!
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – a little under the weather
Current Music –
Website Of The Day – I can’t believe that I’ve never chosen Snopes — the best resource for debunking internet rumors!
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – didn’t check, let’s go with “overweight”
Foot Mileage – ~8.5 miles, Wheel Mileage – 83 miles
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 6 (7)
Vegetarian Days – 0, Carnivorous Days – 17
Marta Rides – 0
– Not get fired from my job
– Restart work on house, actually making progress this time
– Reduce my weight to 190 pounds (today’s weight was 199.5 pounds)
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the JalapeÃ±o Beach SmugMug account I opened the other day.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in Objective-C (iPhone development) and Ruby on Rails (Black Sheep web page concept)
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem