For some reason I’m up early and ready to take on yet another overly-busy day. I wish the day included a trip to get someone to look at the SRS light in my car — you know, before I go for a long drive tomorrow — but it doesn’t. I’ve come to the conclusion that life is too complicated for one.
Five Of The One Hundred Simple Secrets Of Happy People
I am currently, and deliberately slowly, reading a super-easy read called The 100 Simple Secrets Of Happy People. Each morning I read three of these “secrets.” (Remember when I mentioned exercising my mind?)
Here are five “secrets” on which you can ponder
- Take care not to harshly criticize family and friends. [Good advice for this weekend.]
- Some people like the big picture, and other like the details. [Call me Mr. Details.]
- Do the things you are good at. [Like not ending sentence in prepositions.]
- Go visit your neighbor. [Well, one just moved out and I did see one at 5:30am this morning at her mailbox.]
- Smile. [😀]
You may find this hard to believe, but I’m trying to live my life under the concept that it’s the only one I’ll ever have so I better enjoy it.
Ho, Ho, Ho, That Was Funny!
Last night I fought Atlanta’s notorious traffic to make my way to the Horizon Theatre in Little Five Points. I managed to weave my way to L5P in time to have a brisket sandwich and beer at the Yacht Club before attending “The Santaland Diaries.”
In its eleventh year, I’ve now attended twice and wonder why it’s taken me so long to return to see “The Santaland Diaries.” The play, adapted from a David Sedaris short-story, is about Sedaris’ Christmas job as a Macy’s Christmas elf and is outrageously funny. The play was well-performed by a handful of actors and has had some modifications made to update the comedic references. Be forewarned however, that if you sit near the front you may be Crumpet’s victim, the man (or woman?) who is brought onto the stage and humiliated in front of all.
The play runs through January 3rd, 2010. I’m sure the plays this week are sold out, but if you can get to see it before the runs end I highly recommend that you do so.
I Don’t Belong, Especially With The Pretty People
For the first time in recent memory the Horizon Theatre was filled with younger people, many of which were pretty young ladies. Huh. Normally I look around the room and think “Really? I wonder if I’m one of the youngest people in this room?” but not last night.
I sat and listened to a few conversations around me and realized that I just don’t “belong,” especially with those blessed with the “pretty.”
I was reminded of a few other things last night
- I have no ability to initiate a conversation, especially one involving small talk.
- I have no “game.”
- I believe that I will never pair up.
It’s become clearer why I am so at peace when I’m writing code.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – good, but rushed still
Current Music – listening to last weekend’s “This American Life” which is all about the strange, drunken world of Penn State University.
Website Of The Day – How random? This Random.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – didn’t check
Foot Mileage – 0 miles, Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Pushups – 0, Situps – 0
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 9* (10)
Vegetarian Days – 1, Carnivorous Days – 21
Marta Rides – 0
– Not get fired from my job
– Reduce my weight to 190 pounds (today’s weight was 199.5 pounds)
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the Jalapeño Beach SmugMug account I opened the other day.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in Objective-C (iPhone development) and Ruby on Rails (Black Sheep web page concept)
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem