I wish that I were more prepared. That’s actually not accurate because I am often prepared, but rarely ready to put my preparedness into effect.
This Is Not A Test
This morning I realized that I was not making a secondary backup of my main computer. No worries, all I had to do was plug in an external drive and run Carbon Copy Cloner on it. Because of the robbery last year I made extreme efforts to thwart another robber, so I’ve encased my computer and hard drive in a cage making any alterations, as well as extractions, very difficult.
I went to insert a USB cable into the computer and heard a thump. I noticed that I had knocked over the drive on which I store all of my media. No worries, all I had to do was stand it back up and reboot the computer (something that was in the works even before I knocked the drive over).
When I rebooted I noticed that the media drive was not showing up. I rebooted again, no luck. Fuck! I made the assumption that I knocked the drive over while it was being accessed and crashed the drive.
Time to test my extensive backup strategy.
I had to tear apart my cage, remove the old hard drive, insert a new USB drive, and start copying data from my nightly backup.
I have successfully recovered my iTunes library — music, podcasts, videos — and am currently in the process of recovering my photos, documents, and other miscellaneous data. All in all I’ve determined that my backup strategy works and that I can recover to a working computer in about eight hours.
ITP Flickr Pic
Um, I don’t have one today. Well, it’s not that I don’t have hundreds of photos which have never been seen, it’s that exactly zero of them were post-processed and available to be uploaded thanks to my morning SNAFU.
Camping, no; Drive By Truckers, yes; Photography, yes
Last night I made the final decision that I have no intention of going camping this weekend. Unfortunately I also decided to skip last night’s Cymbals Eat Guitars show at The EARL.
To make up for this I’ve decided to join my friend Kevin (brother of ITP-Reader Randy) at tonight’s Drive By Truckers show at Variety Playhouse. Additionally I’ve also decided to join ITP-Reader Maigh photographing our friend Kim tomorrow.
With any luck I’ll also get motivated to get the house prepared for Monday’s AT&T U-Verse install. Stay tuned..
Yet Another Domain Name, This Time It’s Personal
I just bought a domain name related to my home address. It will be part of “The Package” when the house is sold. 😉
Oh Yeah, This Weekend We Move In To Daylight Saving Time
I look forward to having ITP-Reader Steve remind me on Monday that I forgot to change the time for my comments. 🙂
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – frustrated
Current Music – listening to this week’s “Net@Night” podcast
Website Of The Day – While cleaning up last weekend I stumbled upon some Jordi Labanda inspired notebooks; I love his artwork
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – 203 pounds
Pages Of 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die Read – 52
Foot Mileage – ~4 miles, Wheel Mileage – 0 miles
Pushups – 0, Situps – 20
Consecutive Days Of Bed-Making (Longest Streak) – 11 (11)
Vegetarian Days – 1, Carnivorous Days – 10
Marta Rides – 0
– Not get fired from my job
– Ride my bicycle no fewer than 100 miles
– Get the new LLC moving…
– Reduce my weight to 185 pounds (starting weight was 198 pounds)
– Completely read the book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
– Earn at least $150 through photography sales in order to cover the cost for the renewal of the Jalapeño Beach SmugMug account I opened the other day.
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Enter no fewer than three photographic competitions / gallery showings
– Get the Black Sheep stats out of Excel and online
– Ride in no fewer than two 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Complete my Taco Mac Passport requirement of 125 beers
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient programmer in PHP and CSS
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem