Sorry about the swing and miss on Friday, it may be the first Black Friday since I started blogging that I did not produce a blog. It wasn’t because I was out grabbing “deals” (and pepper-spraying my fellow shoppers), it was because I actually forgot to write the blog and instead was writing code for a passcode entry screen). I’m still pushing the envelope on my CES project so my blogging is going to be scant again this week. Sorry.
Happy Thanksgiving Indeed
I was able to take some time away from software development this past weekend. I spent the majority of the weekend visiting with ITP-Readers Lisa and Randy. I celebrated Thanksgiving at ITP-Reader Randy’s mother’s (aka “Sanitary Not”) house, and on Saturday I hung out with the clan as we celebrated Lisa and Randy’s eldest’s “birthday” with some bowling at Funtime Bowl.
Also seen IRL (in real life) this weekend were ITP-Reader Barb and her husband Allan, ITP-Readers Laura and Bob with their little one, non-ITP-Readers Amanda (aka “ITP-Reader Lisa’s sister) and her husband Keith with their little ones.
Away From The Office, Not Away From The Job
I did put in many, though not enough, hours programming this weekend. Had I been able to concentrate (side note: I have a optometrist appointment in three weeks and am going to be interested to see how much my prescription has changed in the last year) I would have been quite successful. Instead I met some of my goals, though not all of them.
An Edible Near-Miss
On my way home Saturday night I stopped at Kroger to pick up some food for Sunday. I was feeling adventurous and was going to pick up some ribs, but when I saw packages of beef short ribs on Manager’s Special (aka “sell them now!”) I snapped up three-pounds’ worth. The original plan was to crockpot the ribs, but I wasn’t in the cooking mood yesterday morning. Instead I went “old school” and cooked the short ribs with potatoes, carrots, and onion, covered with some homemade barbecue sauce, in a dutch oven. (here is the recipe I followed) The final concoction was a bit on the messy side (the potatoes, though waxy, started to break down) and the meat, being beef short ribs, was a bit on the fatty side. I may try this recipe again using a different cut of meat as I don’t think the roasting short-rib bones added much to the final flavor. At least I have lunch already prepared for today…
Odds And Ends
– The Jackmobile repair was more expensive than I expected because there was rotor work done on the rear brakes.
– The ITP Estate hot water heater is still knocking/banging. I’m going to learn how to flush the hot water heater this week and attempt to clean it out next Saturday. Until then I’ll minimize the amount of hot water used at the estate by showering at work.
– I watched The Amazing Race last night. I still do not care for the female half of Team B-Average Joe. We’re down to four teams (finally!), and last night we saw the ousting of SPOILER …….. Team AARP. I’ve been awaiting their ouster since the first episode (which you’ll recall I correctly predicted but it was the fist non-elimination leg this season) but have to admit that I was a little saddened to see them get eliminated last night. I laughed out loud last night when they were on their makeshift raft and the male half shouted “We’re on our first date. You should try this.”
– Little known fact about me: I don’t like “Greatest Hits” albums/cassettes/cds. I want the music in the exact grouping/ordering as was initially conceived by the artist.
– I’ve decided that 2012 will be my “Year of Repair” — me, house, car. I’ll also attempt to make it the “Year of Gain” in my financial life, which will be in direct conflict with the “Year of Repair” but I’ll try.
– December (is only three days away?!?!?!) is going to be an exciting month for me. Come back to this space and see the changes I’m making…