(from Clerks, and one of the few movie lines I can quote). In fact, I’m not supposed to be here today. However, I am way behind schedule and was unable to overcome my challenge of getting work done this weekend.
Happy Presidents’ Day, or the day after Presidents’ Day if you are reading this post upon your return to work on Tuesday.
Yesterday’s Daily Challenge
Measure and record your height.
You may think you know your height, but in reality you could be off by a couple of inches! It’s a good idea to know exactly how tall you are for a few reasons. One, it can help you determine if you are at a healthy weight for your height; and two, it can help you realize if you are losing height due to osteoporosis. Losing bone mass happens in a very slow and subtle way, so having that number on hand can provide a baseline to measure against.
And here I’ve only been recording my weight. 😉
Happy National Pancake Week!!!
Oh brother, I jumped the gun on Saturday when I drove into Buckhead and ate a stack of pancakes at the White House Restaurant. Pretty much forgetting that today is Presidents’ Day (therefore there shall be no snail-mail delivery — and they wonder why people stop using the USPS?) I had to get my mother’s birthday card in the mail on Saturday to guarantee its delivery by her birthday (wait for it, wait for it). Normally I’d drop mail off at the office, and though I was heading there on Saturday, I couldn’t guarantee that there would be mail pickup so I dropped the card off at a post office that I considered to be closely linked to a postal hub (not sure how I determined this, but I’ve had luck in the past). This led me to Buckhead, which reminded me of the conversation I had at the rarely-closed Majestic Diner on Christmas Eve morning when the owner of the Majestic informed us that he also owned the White House Restaurant and it was open on that day.
As a former Jeanne’s Body Tech (which I just found out is now owned by my former favorite-aerobics-instructor/personal trainer Andrew) workout fanatic I knew the exact location of the White House Restaurant, but had never ventured inside. The restaurant is very much a throwback to diners of old and the staff was very friendly. The pancakes I ordered were large and “caky,” served in a stack of three with butter (or perhaps margarine) plopped on top and maple syrup (probably not pure maple syrup) on the side. I liked the pancakes well-enough and would eat there again if I were “in the neighborhood,” but I’m not sure that White House Restaurant would be a destination for me given that I’d have to pass The Original Pancake House in order to get to it from East Atlanta.
A Wee Little Bit Too Cold
I intended to attend the weekend’s Wheelhopper hash which was hared by ITP-Reader Barb (aka Primer) and her hubby Allan (aka Service My Tool). However, I didn’t get much work done on Saturday (nor on Sunday as it turned out), and with the weather forecast appearing abysmal I decided to stay at home.
I did manage to make it out to Kroger to pick up the ingredients I’ll need for Wednesday’s “Fat Tuesday” celebration at work (I’ll explain on Wednesday). I also picked up the ingredients for a vegetarian white chili (notice I added two more vegetarian days this weekend) which I made for dinner last night — and most importantly, some beer — on a SUNDAY!!!! This was the first time that I had the opportunity to purchase alcohol on a Sunday in Georgia since the law changed.
ITP Flickr Pic
Sadly nothing today. I should have found an image or two on my five-mile walk on Saturday morning, but I didn’t.
I May Be Heading Up The “Mountain” Tonight
If the weather (and to some degree work) cooperates I’ll be toting my camera gear up Stone Mountain to shoot the sun setting behind downtown Atlanta.
But it’s a Roswell Photographic Society night! And the sun sets “exactly” behind downtown Atlanta tomorrow night!
True, but I already have something planned for tomorrow night and the sun’s setting position won’t be that drastically different tonight. And besides, it’s Presidents’ Day so traffic shouldn’t be nearly as unpredictable as it normally is.
I’m hoping for some wispy clouds to create dramatic interest tonight. I’m also hoping that I bring enough warm clothing because it appears as if it’s going to be quite chilly up there, especially after the sun sets.
I’ve Rejoined Twitter
@InsidePerimeter is back on Twitter. Only this time it’s going to be different. As one can see I’ve changed my tag line to It’s no longer about me, it’s about you. because I have Unfollowed all “people,” limiting my Follows to businesses/bands/brands, and will only be posting Tweets which recommend things that people should be doing in Atlanta (mostly limited to ITP of course).
Because I still believe that Twitter is a great resource for reaching out and communicating. However, I need to avoid the personal contact/relationship/updates that caused me to bail last year.
I May Have Rejoined The Amazing Race
Yesterday I found out that The Amazing Race was starting again. I’ve set my DVR (for “The Amazing Race” and “The Good Wife” because even though we’re out of the NFL season we are not out of the The-Amazing-Race-will-start-late-because-of-sports season) and actually watched last night’s first episode.
Don’t expect me to “bet” on who gets eliminated — that didn’t work out so well last season — or to recap the episodes since I can’t guarantee that I’ll be watching all of this season.
Heh, I forgot that Phil is a cycling enthusiast.
Hmm, no Georgia contestants this time around.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – okay, though I really wish that I was more successful writing code over the weekend.
Current Music – Listening to an interview with the photographer Vincent LaForet.
Website Of The Day – I wish that I had the skills to have become an architect. Instead I’m relegated to reading Life of an Architect.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – Saturday: walking, ~5 miles; Sunday: nothing
Morning Weigh-In –
Foot Mileage – ~21.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 31 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 19*
Vegetarian Days – 6*
Carnivorous Days – 13
Pancakes Eaten – 5
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– Lose at least one pound (net weight loss)
– Exercise for thirty minutes no fewer than twenty days
– Not to get sick for the entire month
– Eat vegetarian no fewer than ten days
– Not get fired from my job, nor quit my job
– Follow up with doctors, lawyer, women in whom I have interest
– Go out on a least one date with a woman in whom I have interest
– Submit 2012 paperwork for Sharpened Stone, LLC
– Gather all tax paperwork for 2011 income taxes
– Successfully arrange for automatic payments for my mortgage
– Watch all of the classes in the 2011 Winter semester of Stanford’s CS193P (iOS Development) course
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5?), a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Eat more pancakes
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation