Without losing my woman… because I can’t get a woman.
Today’s Personal Project
Find a reason that I shouldn’t just break down today.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Strengthen your legs and core with a kneeling plank pose.
This pose calls on the large muscles of your legs as well as the power of your core! A strong core helps you maintain balance and stability, aids with posture and maintaining a healthy back, and makes everyday activities easier.
A Seriously Unfunny Thing Happened On The Way To The Dentist
This morning I had a 10am dental appointment to investigate the nerve associated with the tooth which has been ailing me to see whether or not I need a root canal (read: “When I need to get a root canal for this tooth”).
In this crummy weather I made my way to vote this morning, leaving me with plenty of time to spare to make it to my dentist’s office in Marietta. I made it as far as two blocks north of I-20 on Clifton Road when I went over a speed hump; immediately the TCS and Check Engine lights came on, and the D (for Drive) started flashing green. I’ve seen this happen before — when I was in Boulder Colorado two years ago and my transmission needed to be replaced, at what seems to be a substantially inflated cost. The only difference this time is that the car didn’t buck a few times as it did in Boulder, but I did just go over a speed hump so that may have changed the dynamics.
I’ve called my dentist and canceled my appointment (which is far from a “solution” since I still need to have this tooth/root checked out), and because the car still drove I managed to limp back to the house. I’ve started the car again in my carport and the Check Engine light comes back on, though the TCS and flashing D have gone away.
I’m sure that the transmission is still under warranty — at a mechanic two-thirds of a country away!
Dare I drive the car up to Peach Auto today, in the rain, after waiting for traffic to subside? I might. I am a current AAA member so I can always call them to tow me the rest of the way if the Jackmobile dies along the way. Before I do I’ll need to clean out everything from the trunk, glovebox, and center console, just in case I need to leave it for awhile (or, get rid of it for a car which is reliable).
My house is chilly right now, but I dare not tempt fate by turning on the heat for the first time this season. With the way my luck has been
recently for most of my life it’s bound to break today.
Is Camping Now Out Of The Question?
Now that I am unsure of my mobility I might have to back out of camping this weekend. I suppose that I could rent a car for a week, which is the most-likely outcome of today’s new problem, because I cannot fathom making a knee-jerk reaction and buying a new car at this time.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – I can’t get much lower right now (maybe at least until tonight’s election results come in)
Current Music – listening to this week’s “Build and Analyze” podcast
Website Of The Day – Election Project is a site which will probably be hammered today.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car? NOPE, NOT TODAY!!!
Exercise (b)Log – walking, ~5.2 miles
Morning Weigh-In – whatever
Foot Mileage – ~5.2 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 3
Vegetarian Meals – 5
Carnivorous Meals – 6
Pancakes Eaten – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new
iPhone (iPhone 5), a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011