Compared to yesterday I am much better, but my back is still a little tender (as the kids say today) and my belly is still too large (as kids have been telling me for most of my 47 years).
Today’s Personal Project
Walk again tonight.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Lie on your back, raise your upper body, extend your legs into the air, and make five “V” shapes.
This exercise is great for your core, because it requires that you engage muscles in both your back and abdomen! It also provides a nice stretch for your thighs as you extend into your Vs.
Not with the condition that my back is in currently.
Out For A Walk
At 5:30pm the alarm I set for my “Appointment for Exercise” went off and I dutifully changed into some “exercise” clothes and went out for a walk. I was joined by my boss, and while we didn’t set and land-speed records, we did manage to cover about 5.4 miles.
By the time I returned home I was tired. I manage to make myself some eggs for dinner and then proceeded to watch (the last episode?) of Life After Top Chef, falling asleep twice prior to the show’s ending (Hooray for recordings! Many of you don’t recall the days where you were shit out of luck if you fell asleep watching a show; you had no dvr, and no ability to re-watch or download it.)
I remember speaking to my mother briefly some time around 10:30pm, but what I said to her is still a mystery to me. I hope that I didn’t agree to support her bingo habit as her Christmas gift.
ITP Flickr Pic
Um, yeah, wasn’t I supposed to take a photo yesterday?…
I Have A Gripe With Grammar Girl
I’ve been listening to Grammar Girl for years now, and agree with her on most things (even when I fail to execute some of the things properly).
In episodes past Grammar Girl has said that she didn’t agree with the rule that sentences should not end with a preposition. It took me years to learn and train myself not to end sentences with prepositions, and I’m not giving up this battle lightly!
While I’m at it, I feel compelled to continue to rant about people not saying
“they’re” “there’re” “there are” instead of “there’s” when referring to multiple items. For example, it has become commonplace to hear “There’s multiple steps to this procedure.” in conversation; this makes my skin crawl. It’s call “Subject/Verb Agreement” people, use it! How long will it be until this rule is considered “antiquated” like the “Do not end sentences with prepositions.”?
More Of The Same In Store For Today
I woke early (Hooray for unseasonably warm Decembers!) and came into the office. I’m planning on working until my “Appointment for Exercise” goes off at 5:30pm, at which time I shall be heading out for another 5+ mile walk. Twice last night I proved to myself that neither my back nor belly were ready to start running as one was in pain and one jiggled too much (I think you can figure out which body part did which) when I attempted slow jogs. Oh well, walking it is for now.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – better, not great, but better.
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – Hi, I’m Paulie, and I’m not afraid to admit that walking is currently my only exercise. The Walking Site will tell you how good of an exercise walking can be for your body.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – walking, ~5.4 miles
Morning Weigh-In – didn’t check today
Foot Mileage – ~5.4 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Pushups – 0
Situps – 0
Stairs – 0 flights
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 4
Carnivorous Meals – 4
Pancakes Eaten – 0
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– lose five pounds
– walk/run no fewer that 100 miles
– read at least one book
– dissolve Sharpened Stone, LLC
– donate money to charities
– take care of myself first
– take care of my house second
2012 Goals [will be a little less fluid than last year]
– Get my weight under 200 pounds, or at least whittle myself back down to where wearing a 36″ pant size is comfortable
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Run Sharpened Stone as a real business
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Attend at least one professional photography workshop
– Ride in no fewer than five 50 mile or 50K bike rides
– Run in no fewer than one one 10K
– Submit at least one application under the name “Sharpened Stone” to Apple’s iOS store
– Restore the ITP Estate to a condition where it can be put up for sale at any time
– Buy a new
iPhone (iPhone 5), a new iPad (iPad 3?), and MacBook Air [look, not all goals have to be altruistic]
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Become a proficient and profitable programmer in Objective-C
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– See more live concerts than I did in 2011
– Drive/Fly somewhere for a real vacation
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2012
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me — Mindy Kahling
- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man’s Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science — Curtis Ebbesmeyer
- God, No! — Penn Jillette
- The Elephant to Hollywood — Michael Caine
- Here Comes Trouble — Michael Moore
- How We Decide — Jonah Lehrer
- Steve Jobs — Walter Isaacson
- Death of a Salesman (Penguin Plays) — Arthur Miller
- Fahrenheit 451 — Ray Bradbury
- White Jacket Required — Jenna Weber