Working out and showering took me nearly two hours again today, and I tried to hurry myself through my weight routine. I’m either going to have to learn how to get out of bed an hour earlier or cut back on the number of exercises that I do on a given visit because I can’t keep “starting my work day” so late.
Today’s Personal Project
Get out of the office early enough to make it down to the airport.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Write down one skill you’d like to improve that can help you in your career or volunteer activities.
Too often we get into a rut, performing the same repetitive tasks and doing only what’s required to carry out the basic functions of our job. If you want to move ahead – both professionally and personally – it’s important to step back. By thinking about what you’re doing and how you can do it better, you open yourself up to new learning opportunities and experiences.
I’ll give you two:
- Networking. Networking. Networking. I am terrible at meeting people in my field, people who may be able to open new doors for me.
- Vary my iOS development, or learn another platform such as Android.
Partial Success, Or Partial Failure
It’s all I how look at it.
I showed up at ITP-Reader Betsy’s with iPad in hand ready to watch Top Chef and have dinner with her. I’ve been having major difficulties syncing my iPad with iTunes (it keeps deleting shows I’ve not watched and adding ones I have) so I should have double-checked the iPad before heading over to her house.
Betsy made a wonderful chuck steak with red onion dinner, served with some cauliflower. I stopped at Kroger and picked up some asparagus and broccoli to add to the meal.
We watched a “Last Chance Kitchen” episode, a full episode, and then another “Last Chance Kitchen” episode. When I when to the iPad to start another full episode I found that it wasn’t on the iPad. DANGEN! I thought about downloading it using Betsy’s bandwidth, but the HD video was too large to be practically downloaded and I could not figure out how to stream the episode.
So instead we watched the “The Layover” episode which was shot in Atlanta.
It was a very enjoyable, laid back evening — with no alcohol consumption. (What?!)
ITP Flickr Pic
Nothing today (again!), but I’m making a guarantee of having five new shots next week.
If you remember some time ago I swore that I would stop buying Groupon Groupons since I kept letting them expire, thus losing money. Well, I’ve purchased another Groupon because I just couldn’t stop myself from buying a Groupon for membership in the University of Florida Alumni Association.
I was a UFAA member when I first moved to Atlanta in attempt to meet fellow Florida grads and hoping to meet a nice female Florida grad. Neither of those panned out so I dropped my membership some time ago. However, one of my unspoken 2013 goals (until today) is to do more networking, so I am using this Groupon as an excuse to get back into the UFAA and try to meet people who can help my career.
Oh, and I somehow had $10 in “Groupon Bucks” so my Groupon was even cheaper than I expected it to be. Score!
Raleighwood Here I Come!
This afternoon I am flying to Raleigh, NC to spend the weekend with the Raleigh Royalty. It seems odd that I’ve not spent time with them since Thanksgiving, so it’ll be a fun time for me OTP. It looks as if Mother Nature is literally going to rain on my virtual parade, but I’m sure that there are plenty of fun indoor activities in which we can partake.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – decent
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – I have been a supporter of Creative Commons. Unfortunately I have not been a financial supporter of theirs in a few years; I plan to change that this year.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – last Friday’s weigh-in was 211.6 pounds
Foot Mileage – ~2.5 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 9 (1 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 16
Carnivorous Meals – 35
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– lose five pounds
– walk/run no fewer that 100 miles
– read at least one book
– dissolve Sharpened Stone, LLC
– take at least one box of things to Goodwill
– post at least ten photos in the blog
– drink a lot less alcohol
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013