What a crummy weather weekend, but at least it didn’t stop me from having fun.
Did you hear about the shots fired on Friday afternoon in Dunwoody? That took place right across the street from my office. Crime is everywhere my friends (it’s just more prevalent in some areas — like East Atlanta).
Today’s Daily Challenge
Reach for a red fruit or vegetable.
Red produce is packed with health-promoting antioxidants and beneficial nutrients such as lycopene, which can help prevent cancer, and resveratrol, which helps the heart.
Three Times In One Month’s Time?
It had probably been four years since I had returned to Cypress Street Pint & Plate prior my visit about a month ago; since then I’ve now been back two additional times.
I met some former coworkers at Cypress Street on Friday night for happy hour. The food, drink, and company were great, but the $9 I had to pay for parking was a little less than ideal. Pro Tip: On Friday afternoon most of their appetizers (all very tasty) are 50% off. Another Pro Tip: Cypress Street’s “house beer” is Sweetwater IPA (very tasty as well) is always $3 / pint.
Terri’s World. Party Time. Excellent.
Could the weather have been any more miserable than on Saturday? Well, yes, but you must admit that all day cold and rain is never much fun.
I spent the day trying to stay dry. Around lunchtime I went out for cash and then planned on eating somewhere; the “somewhere” proved the be a problem. My desire was to eat food I liked, without ordering beer, at a place that I’ve either never, or recently visited. I thought about Fox Bros BBQ — nixed, I eat there often. I thought about Big Tex Cantina, nixed, I couldn’t find parking. I thought about Twain’s — nixed because I knew there was no way I could eat at Twain’s and not order beer. After much driving and deliberating I wound up at Savage Pizza in Avondale Estates where I ordered a chicken caesar salad, breadsticks, and Coke.
With a full belly I returned home and worked/studied for awhile.
At around 8:30pm I headed out to The Midway Pub where ITP-Reader Terri was having her birthday party. I was in and out of the private party patio, chatting up hashers I rarely see these days. By the time the patio had filled up I was having a fun time, but I had other fish to fry that night.
At around 10:15pm I made my way up to Drunken Unicorn to see the Telekinesis show. With the weather being what it was I was forced to park about three blocks from Drunken Unicorn and got a little more than wet on my walk back to the car sometime after midnight.
ITP Flickr Pic
I was going to publish one today, but I decided against doing so because of the potentially disturbing subject matter.
Stinko de Mayo
Not the hash, which did happen yesterday but I did not attend. No, I once again mention the weather, and am also referring to the Mets playing yesterday.
Thankfully I used the crummy weather forecast as an excuse not to attend the afternoon affair between the Mets and Braves, which resulted in the “wrong” team winning. Instead I stayed at home, attempted to learn some new iOS development tricks while also being amazed that my home’s heater was in action on the 5th of May.
As I do I sought an Irish bar last night. Under normal circumstances I probably would have headed straight for The Elder Tree Pub, but because my boss was coming from the aquarium we decided to meet up at Limerick Junction.
Our initial stay at Limerick Junction was very short. Seems there was a Cinco de Mayo pub crawl in Virginia Highland yesterday and the tableful who had just gotten their first round were very LOUD; I’m assuming my boss and I were already a few rounds behind them by 5:00pm.
You might remember that short period of time where the weather yesterday afternoon was stellar? That’s when my boss and I wandered down to Hand ‘n Hand and sat outside. We’d just about finished our first drink and got inside before the deluge.
With the raid subsiding we decided that Hand and Hand was too crowded (obviously everyone on the patio was now indoors) so we took a chance and wandered back down to Limerick Junction. Our fortunes were much better the second time around.
By the time we were ready to leave (some time around 8:30pm) the rain had decided to return and my boss and I, neither of us clever enough to bring anything to ward off the weather, got a bit damp on our three-block walk back to our cars.
I Thought I Had Another “Cinco de Mayo” Pun For You
But I can’t think of it now…
RealiTV Update: TAR Finale — I Missed It
I got home too late and too tired to watch last night’s The Amazing Race finale.
Feel free to make comments and spoilers if you wish to discuss it amongst yourselves, I’ll be watching it soon enough.
Today’s Personal Project
I ned to go LA Fitness this afternoon.
Watch last night’s The Amazing Race finale either recorded on my DVR or, if the weather didn’t permit for that, online.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – okay, though my foot is not recovering as quickly as I hoped
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – Looking to take the plunge and purchase a SSD for your computer (I did not long ago), check out SSD Boss where you can compare features on many different models.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – checking Wendesday
Foot Mileage – ~3.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 5
Carnivorous Meals – 10
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– not get sick
– lose two pounds
– walk/run no fewer that 50 miles
– lift weights at the gym no fewer than eight times
– finish at least two of the books I am reading
– take at least one box of things to Goodwill
– post at least ten photos in the blog
– drink a lot less alcohol
– prepare a house repair plan and budget
– return ITP-Reader Martha’s coffee percolator to her
– return ITP-Terri’s crutches to her
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg