Just as I was set to embark on Day One of a new personal enrichment initiative I’ve cleverly named “Me O’clock” I was struck by a health issue that has plagued me periodically over the past two years. Believe it or not, I’ve never mentioned said issue in this space, nor do I have any intention of doing so. Subsequently my setback caused me to skip LA Fitness last night, and gave me the excuse to sleep in this morning. Here’s to hoping that it was a one-day affliction.
Semi-carb-free Nut-Thins for everyone!!!
Today’s Daily Challenge
Pretend you are a rag doll by bending over very slowly and letting your upper body go limp.
Bending the spine – whether it’s forward or backward – strengthens the muscles in the thighs and knees. Having a good stretch also provides relief for all the back, neck, and shoulder muscles that can get tense during the day.
I would have preferred being a rag doll over the real person that I was yesterday.
Though I’m not tying yesterday’s setback to alcohol I have decided to take a four-day hiatus from drinking; the fact that my drinking cohorts are in Denver this week will make this task much simpler. I’d strive for a longer hiatus but I’ll be in Black Mountain, NC this weekend for LEAF hanging with ITP-Readers Lisa and Randy, so I know that I’ll be tipping a few pints with them.
Abstaining from alcohol consumption is hard for me because I love, luv, lurve, the taste of beer ever since the microbrew revolution of the 1990s. Many of you have heard this but I was essentially dry through college, at the University of Florida, a noted “party school” back then. During my time in Gainesville (1987-1991, four years later than I should have attended because I was a junior college fuckup, but that’s another story) I might have consumed five beers.
ITP Flickr Pic
Nothing to see.
Dear CBS: You’ve Let Me Down
I worked past 7pm last night (there are many reasons for this), ate dinner at Pancho’s (I wanted carnitas; Barb, I think I had the same waiter that we had after Cheddarhead and he greeted me with “Welcome back.”), and all I wanted to do when I got home was watch the finale of The Amazing Race.
I was tired and chilly so rather than go into the living room I got under the covers in bed with my iPad and launched the CBS app — only to find out that the latest full episode of TAR available was last week’s. Bugger. So, I watched some video podcasts instead before crashing at some point in the night.
Barb, Need A Little More REO Speedwagon In Your Life?
Amazon is selling REO Speedwagon’s “The Hits” for $5 this month.
Today’s Personal Project
It’s lavanderia night.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – unsure about my future because of the physical maladies that I have been encountering the past few years
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – If the weather is nice in Atlanta on Saturday I suggest that you take in New Belgium Brewing’s “Tour de Fat”. If I were to be in Atlanta on Saturday I would be there
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – checking tomorrow
Foot Mileage – ~3.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 6
Carnivorous Meals – 12
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– return ITP-Reader Marthaâ€™s coffee percolator to herâ€¨- return ITP-Terriâ€™s crutches to herâ€¨- not get sickâ€¨- lose three poundsâ€¨- exercise at least twenty-five of Mayâ€™s thirty-one daysâ€¨- finish at least two of the books I am readingâ€¨- take at least one box of things to Goodwillâ€¨- post at least ten photos in the blogâ€¨- drink a lot less alcoholâ€¨- prepare a house repair plan and budget
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
Blog was nearly done at 9:15am and was interrupted by work for an hour. I will blame all grammatical errors on the work interruption.
Since I don’t buy music for the most part, I’ll have to ponder that REO purchase.
that’s funny about the waiter at Pancho’s – I wonder if he really remembered you, or just says that to peopel to see what they think?
We DID want the finale of TAR last night – I’m happy with how it all turned out. But – I really didn’t have a problem with any of the 4 final teams (except Max, he’s an arrogant ass, but that could be more so by editing than anything).
We cooked up some venison steaks last night that were given to me by a friend in AL, they were very tasty, venison is jsut a little gameier (how the hell is that supposed to be spelled?) than regular beef, it was very good.
Farley managed to make it on “my list” yesterday. We planted a tree in the front yard, a noce maple to match some of the others. Farley had his way with it a few weeks ago, breaking off one of 2 trunks (no bigger than your pinkie) so we propped up what was left, as it was taking a downward turn. Yesterday, he had his way with the pole we had it tied to, bending it over, chewing it up, and basically killing what was left of the tree.
I had a stern talking to with him, then I made Debbie do it as well. He was running around, thinking it was a game until I collared him and she started in on the “bad dog”. Now he got it- he was so sad looking and we were trying not to laugh, which would have blown it altogether.
Brownie brought home another possum, which makes 7 total. We still don’t know where he finds them all.
The joys of pats…
Barb, “gamey” isn’t really a word, it’s one of those nouns we’ve turned into an adjective through slang. Technically it should be spelled “game-y” to indicate the use of slang rather than another more descriptive actual word. This is a really long explanation for the fact that the correct way to put it is “more gamey” (or “game-y” if you’re being strict).
I knew Jenka would know… I figured more gamey was the better way to say that.
When it comes to grammar that Jenka is wicked smaht. We need to bring ITP-Reader Laura ITP again and have a “Grammar Off” which is probably the wrong thing to call that. 😀
First prize is, um, an excellent grasp of American English grammar!