I lobbied to be sent to Big Nerd Ranch for a week’s worth of “Advanced iOS Development Training” which would have started today and lasted through Friday. My request was denied because of the “timing as it relates to my current schedule” thus I will be in the office all week instead. Dangen. Well, I do plan to take a half-day on Friday, you’ll find out why later in the week.
Of course if this is the worse thing to happen to me today then I should be okay with everything…
Today’s Daily Challenge
Stand instead of sit three times today.
People who sit most of the day tend to have larger waists than those who spend less time in a chair. A larger waistline increases the risk of developing illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. When you stand, you engage many more muscles, which requires physical exertion.
I’m a certified sitter.
Not Exactly A Stellar Saturday
Because I knew that I was going to The Shed for the wine class Saturday afternoon I didn’t venture out much on Saturday morning. I considered getting brunch somewhere, but I was feeling lazy so I stayed in and finished off my cheddar-cheese Chex Mix as “brunch.”
I showered, and left the house around 2:40pm for the 3:00pm class. On my way to The Shed via backroads I came across ITP-Reader Jenka out walking her dog. Unfortunately I knew that this meant she was skipping the wine class. It was nice to see a friendly face along the way as I stopped and exchanged pleasantries with her.
The class itself was alright, though I felt strange being one of the only singletons there. In fact, I may have been the only one at my six-person table had not two guys joined my table right as the class was to start. Over a ninety-minute period or so we were served six tastings of pinot noir as well as four courses of food (see below). To my astonishment I was a little more tipsy than I expected to be at the end (seriously, I hadn’t consumed that much wine) and instead of heading out for more fun I made a stop at Morelli’s for two scoops of ice cream before heading home for a nap.
The plan was to recuperate for awhile, and weather permitting, drive over to Twain’s in Decatur to hear Gringo Star perform at 9:45pm-ish. The plan went pear-shaped as I got way too comfortable on the couch and spent the entire night there, either watching some recorded “Modern Family” episodes or napping.
Top Left: flank steak with caramelized onions
Top Right: beet salad
Bottom Left: lamb with asparagus and mushrooms
Bottom Right: bacon with caramel
Not Exactly A Stellar Sunday
The streets may have been alive on Sunday, but there was no way that I was venturing out to walk them. You know what they say, “When Mother Nature deals you a shitty hand and you have laundry to do, make clean laundry.” And so I did by shifting my plan to do laundry tonight to yesterday afternoon.
But first since it was around lunch time I made a stop at a Chinese buffet for a mega-meal (which turned out to be the only one I ate yesterday) before heading to the lavanderia.
Fortunately I was able to dodge the raindrops and was home again by 3:00pm. I spent the rest of Sunday catching up on podcasts, doing some coding, putting laundry away, vacuuming the dust from my bedroom floor, and generally being a bum.
Mow, Mow, Mow The Lawn
The shitty rainy weather we had this weekend combined with an already-filled social schedule for the majority of this week I am going to make an attempt to skip out of work early tonight so that I can return home and mow the weeds to a uniform level.
Today’s Personal Project
Not update my resume. Okay seriously, get home in time to mow my lawns.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – apprehensive
Current Music – listening to some music sent to me by a PR firm. It’s very “dancy” so I’m not too sure how many times I will give it a listen.
Website Of The Day – While it won’t occur until November I’ve paid for some of my own iOS training by signing up for CocoaConf Atlanta.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing; that changes today
Morning Weigh-In – craaaaaaap, I forgot to weigh-in this morning
Foot Mileage – ~3.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 25
Carnivorous Meals – 25
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– return ITP-Reader Martha’s coffee percolator to her
- return ITP-Terri’s crutches to her
- not get sick
- lose three pounds
- exercise at least twenty-five of May’s thirty-one days
- finish at least two of the books I am reading
- take at least one box of things to Goodwill
- post at least ten photos in the blog
- drink a lot less alcohol
- prepare a house repair plan and budget
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg