It’s not even 8:00am and I’ve started preparing lunch. Of course I am making the Crock Pot Spaghetti that I linked to yesterday, so having a four-hour cook time was essential.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Plan to straighten your wrist the next time you use your mobile phone.
Holding a phone with a bent wrist makes your fingers work a lot harder than they have to in order to get the job done! If you’re a heavy texter, bent wrists can also lead to muscle strain. By taking a moment to check your position, you’ll keep your hands and wrists happy.
I don’t know how I hold my phone when I am using it. I will pay attention to this today.
In the past I have mentioned Merlin Mann — a one-time productivity guru — because of the similar background and tastes that we have. Like me, Mann spent his formative years in Florida (though he attended New College in Sarasota), listened to a lot of HÃ¼sker DÃ¼, cites “Glengarry Glen Ross,” as one of his favorite movies, and has taken his Twitter handle “hotdogsladies” from my favorite book, “A Confederacy of Dunces.”
For shits and giggles I’ve tried to make contact with Merlin Mann in the past (I came to find out recently that the concert promoter here in town once knew Mann in Tallahassee as well) but have never received any response.
Yesterday I tweeted the similarity of my favorites to Mann’s and got a “Hive Five” reply.
Simple recognition — some times that’s all it takes to satisfy me…
The Queso Is A Lie
I wound up joining my work drinking club at Taco Mac last night because one of the group had gotten a coupon for a free order of queso ($5.79 value) and I had no better offers.
The evening was interesting, being surrounded by a white-collar work group of about fifteen whose dynamic was fun to watch. Even with all of the rain discussion in yesterday’s blog I was caught off-guard by the ferocity of the storms that rolled in, and caused me to order a third beer (Willpower? What’s that?). Unfortunately the queso came with a catch — someone had to order an entree in order for it to be free, and neither of the two orders of tacos placed by my coworkers qualified as an “entree.” Oh Taco Mac, you cheap bastards…
I made a quick stop at the Emory Kroger to pick up the vittles for today’s lunch. While there I also picked up a cooked chicken to augment the chips and queso that had previously been declared “dinner.” I did manage to show willpower with the chicken, eating only the wings and one breast before placing the remainder into the refrigerator.
ITP Flickr Pic
The dark cycle has returned.
Don’t Know What Trouble I Will Seek Tonight
At first I considered using my Scoutmob at The Barrelhouse tonight. Honestly, I’m already feeling fat, and am dressed as frumpily as I ever do (black t-shirt, jeans, “hiking” shoes) so I’m not in the mindset of seeing and being seen.
If my blasÃ© attitude persists I see tonight as being a great night to setting in front of a television or computer screen and watch videos — assuming Netflix doesn’t go down again as it did last night.
Today’s Personal Project
Call my mother tonight and see how she faired with today’s tropical depression that is passing over her area of Florida now.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – unhappy for all of the reasons you might imagine
Current Music – silence, though I am considering digging into my music archives today
Website Of The Day – Though I am currently not in it, I am considering making the jump from Apple’s Safari browser to Google’s Chrome browser. I am an Apple fan-boy but the update they put out yesterday has given me cause for concern.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – don’t want to know
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 5
Carnivorous Meals – 8
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– get my foot to stop hurting
– return ITP-Reader Marthaâ€™s coffee percolator to her
â€¨- return ITP-Terriâ€™s crutches to her
â€¨- not get sick
â€¨- finish at least two of the books I am reading
â€¨- take at least one box of things to Goodwill
â€¨- post at least ten photos in the blog
â€¨- drink a lot less alcohol
â€¨- prepare a house repair plan and budget
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams