Now that I know that I am suffering from tendonitis I am trying to figure out the best plan of attack for exercising without further damaging my food. I suppose that I will return to weightlifting soon and start walking again (shorter distances per the doctor’s recommendation).
Today’s Daily Challenge
Eat one iron-rich food that’s not red meat, such as oatmeal, beans, spinach, broccoli, or tuna.
Iron is a mineral that the body needs to make red blood cells, and when many people think of a good iron source, they tend to think of red meat. Although meat is rich in iron, foods like steak, burgers, and ham also come with a big dose of unhealthy saturated fat. By trying out another source of iron, you get its benefits without any of the drawbacks. It may also inspire you to add different types of iron-rich foods to your daily lineup!
I’ll probably be making a tuna sandwich for lunch today. Huzzah!
Let’s Hear It For The Girls
Yesterday I back two initiatives for encouraging girls to get into computer programming as a career.
The first was Rails Girls, who apparently had an event in Atlanta last month, who are trying to teach girls Ruby on Rails. I donated to their RailsGirls Summer of Code Campaign.
The second was App Camp For Girls, who are trying to get girls interested in developing mobile (iOS) apps. I donated to their Indiegogo Campaign.
In the grand scheme of things my financial contribution is not that much, but if it helps encourage girls to become women in a field currently dominated by men then I think that I have done something good.
I Guess I Felt Two Was Better Than One
Last night I decided to join my boss for drinks and dinner instead of heading down to The Barrelhouse alone. At first I thought about inviting him as my +1 but The Barrelhouse dinner is a beer+food dinner (he drinks wine) and it has shared components (and people already wrongly assume that we are a gay couple so there is no need to fuel that fire).
Instead he and I went to the new(ish) Marlow’s Tavern in Dunwoody. I have to say that I was a little more than slightly disappointed with Marlow’s Tavern, especially since I enjoyed myself at the one Atlanta Photography Group happy hour that was held at the Marlow’s on Lavista at 285 a handful of years ago. First off, service was lackluster. My boss and I sat at the bar, and I realize that we are not Marlow’s regulars, but I felt that we were given less-than-friendly service bar the bartender who seemed to treat everyone else warmly. The food was a mixed bag. I had the Peking duck sliders ($9) which were really good (think mini Banh Mi sandwiches) and truffled garlic parmesan fries ($4.50) which were mediocre.
I may eventually go back to this Marlow’s, but there are many other Dunwoody establishments that I would choose ahead of it.
ITP Flickr Pic
Oops, I’ve let the well run dry.
I Have A Sinking Feeling
I realized the other day that of the five sinks in the ITP Estate none of them work at 100%.
- Kitchen: Faucet has become finicky, it also drips, and it drains into the broken plumbing.
- Guest Bathroom: Hasn’t worked since I tried to fix it when I first moved into the house.
- Master Bathroom: Pressure is now horrible, was the impetus for me finding the pinhole leak in the basement and having to call out a plumber five/six weeks ago. In hindsight I should have had the plumber look at these two bathroom sinks.
- Basement Bathroom: Plumber looked at this and told me that it is leaking from the drain because the sink has rusted out and needs to be replaced.
- Basement Bar Sink: I’ve known since moving in that this sink doesn’t drain into the sewer line, it spits its contents outside of the house. This is not a big issue since it is hardly ever used.
How did I get to this point in my life?
Oh yeah, neglect.
Today’s Personal Project
Go to the grocery store to get the ingredients for the lunch I am making coworkers tomorrow (see the Website Of The Day)
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – fair, hoping that the foot will heal soon
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – I’ve mentioned making this Crock Pot Spaghetti before and I am going to make it again tomorrow.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – don’t know when I’ll check
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 4
Carnivorous Meals – 6
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– get my foot to stop hurting
– return ITP-Reader Marthaâ€™s coffee percolator to her
â€¨- return ITP-Terriâ€™s crutches to her
â€¨- not get sick
â€¨- finish at least two of the books I am reading
â€¨- take at least one box of things to Goodwill
â€¨- post at least ten photos in the blog
â€¨- drink a lot less alcohol
â€¨- prepare a house repair plan and budget
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams
I was just thinking that some spaghetti was something we hadn’t had in a while, and Allan was talking about making some lasagna at the firehouse. Crock Pot spaghetti, might have to try that.
Call that plumber to come back, get the sinks fixed, did you get his personal cell#? You should have…..
Is it supposed to rain today? I know, I could just go look at a weather website, but this is easier for me to ask you all.
I have to look through my paperwork to see if I got his number.
Forecast says “light rain.”
I would imagine there is plenty you can/could do. For cardio, how about the elliptical? Yoga would be great, and lots of body weight/core stuff, wall sits, planks, crunches…
I have my sleep study tonight, so that means no telework/nap today. It will be another two weeks until I get the results. I hope they find something.
all the plumbers I’ve ever dealt with have given me their number to call direct (cut out the company & they can make all the money if you have cash)
I want to go for a bike ride tonight, with my luccck it will probably be raining.
Martha – I hope you find out “something”, (but not something bad), its better than not knowing & just wondering forever…….
I agree there are many things I can do, now it’s a matter or rejiggering (technical term) my workout routine so that I am not doing any harm.
Thanks Barb. I’m going for a run, today is National Running Day. 10 miles should do it…
If you’re going to ride, I think today is the day…looks like some nasty weather maybe heading our way tomorrow and Friday.
The pool is finally coming under control. Igor is doing a fine job and I added some chlorine. No more than I turned my back to let Bunny out, Brownie had taken one of the empty bottles off to his lair. That boy cracks me up.
Off to meet my Games brothers at Stone Mountain tonight to see what “challenges” the park has thrown us for this year. I brought my bike so hopefully a ride after.
Maybe dinner at Georges if I get done soon enough.
yippie – the pool is getting there!!! I don’t know when we will be down that way, but looking forward to some swimming.
Summer Slacker #1?
We had said the 22nd, but I can’t remember who was able to make it that weekend.
Ugh, my 10 mile run turned into a 10k slog…the heat/humidity is just killing me this year.
I’m pretty sure we’re free the 22nd.
It’s on my calendar, though I am not sure if I’ll be ready to ride by then. If not I’ll just have to practice my dominoes and beer drinking while other pedal.
We are out for 6/22, we have a seersucker suit & big hat summer dress party in Conyers
Breaking News from the Day Spa: The pool is blue; I repeat, the pool is blue. It’s not clear but the green sludge is gone. Best pool boy ever! 😉
Awesome! Well, whenever there is a Summer Slacker event I will be there.
Good answer honey. That will keep that pool boy happy… amongst other things.
Blue is a good color……….
and, if anyone is interested in attending the southern themed summer party out in Conyers – let me know, the more the merrier for this one.