One thing I’m really tired of is receiving “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” emails.
I’m back in the office today and really wishing that I weren’t. I woke up dead to the world and only wanted to go back to sleep. Today is going to be a rough day.
It might have something to do with going out for a late dinner with my boss (and having a really strong margarita) at La Parilla (uninspired Mexican) in Toco Hill Shopping Center, and following that up with a couple of Fat Tires at Benchwarmers while we watched that boring football game last night.
Someone bring me coffee! STAT!
Speaking of coffee, yesterday I ordered my Starbucks “skinny peppermint mocha” (hey, don’t judge) “for here” for the first time and was given the drink in a real mug! Nice.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Stand with knees bent, shift weight to one leg, step other foot behind you, then switch sides.
This exercise helps to strengthen the muscles around the knee, and stronger muscles means that knees are less likely to get injured from everyday activities. The moves also help to give your balance a little boost.
Huh, I have to think about this one.
Saying “Yes”, Saying “No”
The last few weeks have provided me with many decision-making moments.
- Painting the house — yes — a no-brainer, even though the cost of doing so is much higher than I budgeted.
- Seeing “A Christmas Carol” at the Alliance Theatre — no — the cost of the ticket I want is $77, and frankly I don’t want to spend that much money on one performance.
- Portland InterAmericas Hash 2015 — yes — though I have no idea what my life will be like come September 2015 I have purchased a registration for this event. Hey, I saw some names I recognized already on the list…
- Seeing “A Prairie Home Companion” next year at The Fox Theater — no — tickets for this with fees run around $90, see my “A Christmas Carol” logic.
- CocoaConf in 2014 — yes — I chose Austin over DC (Raleigh was nixed because it’s the same weekend as LEAF) even though Austin is a CocoaConf “Mini” (no workshop, one track instead of three) while DC will be a full CocoaConf. I’ve always wanted to visit Austin, Texas so this will be my opportunity.
- New iPad – sadly, no — I’m diverting too much of my “expendable” income elsewhere.
If money were no object then these moments wouldn’t exist because I’d say “yes” to them all.
ITP Flickr Pic
A photo? Cool.
(Don’t get used to this).
Almost looks good enough to eat, doesn’t it?
For those wondering, the black spots are some fancy-pants black salt provided in the kit.
Stop The Snow, Stop The Snow, Stop The Snow
I’m not sure exactly when it started happening, but I have dandruff; bad dandruff like “Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club” dandruff.
What to do?
What to do?
What to do?
Last night I stopped at Kroger and bought some Head & Shoulders shampoo in an effort to see if I can minimize this embarrassing malady that has sprung up from parts unknown.
If it’s not one thing it’s five others, right?
Missing My “Steffi Graf”
I am a routine-laden person (see also yesterday’s “Daily Challenge”). Apparently so is, or should I say was, the woman I called “Steffi Graf.” When I’d be driving to work in the 7am hour I’d see the same woman (who looked like former tennis star Steffi Graf to me) running up (or down, depending on how late I was) Highland Avenue.
Same, same, same.
I was intrigued.
I never dared say anything to her, even that one time we were both waiting for a light to change, she stretching on the corner, me seated in the Jackmobile, for fearing that I would appear creepy.
It dawned on me this morning that I’ve not seen my “Steffi Graf” in a couple of months. Cold, rainy weather never her stopped her in the past. I’m wondering if she’s moved on. Perhaps she’s found her “Andre Agassi?”
Today’s Personal Project
Start cleaning the basement, gathering things for Goodwill.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – worn out
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – On last week’s “The Splendid Table” I was introduced to The Kitchn. I find it interestng. (see what I did there?)
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – ??? pounds (December 2)
Foot Mileage – ~0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Days Of Bed-Making – 0
Vegetarian Meals – 3
Carnivorous Meals – 3
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber, and a painter to work on the ITP Estate
– dissolve Sharpened Stone, LLC?
– follow up on some critical life details
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
2013 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Dissolve Sharpened Stone
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
2013 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
– Take two real vacations, perhaps one abroad
– Take a more proactive approach to meeting women (read “stop being such a pussy”)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2013
- Pages 1.7 for iPad (Timestompers Guide) — by Sean Wells
- 60 Mountain Lion Tips — by David Sparks and Brett Terpstra
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business — by Charles Duhigg
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy — by Douglas Adams
- Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness — by CC Chapman
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love — by Cal Newport
- Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life — by Steve Martin
- Who Am I: A Memoir — by Pete Townshend
- Still Foolin’ ‘Em: Where I’ve Been, Where I’m Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys? — by Billy Crystal
- Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good — Andrew J. Mellen