Remember when “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune” used to (and may still) have theme weeks? This week’s theme in my life seems to be “Celebration Week” where I go out to eat and drink to celebrate one thing or another.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Lessen symptoms of eyestrain by giving yourself a one-minute eyelid massage.
Our eyes are busy! Between working at a computer, reading, or doing crafts or close work, it’s not hard for them to develop eyestrain and muscle tension. Massaging the muscles around the eye can help provide some relief from sore muscles. Bonus: Taking a moment to relax and focus on yourself is good for your well-being.
You know, last week after ITP-Reader Barb mentioned that app that checked her posture I bought an app to remind me to get up and look away from the computer. I should start using that today.
Hey, I Know You!
Yesterday was my boss’ birthday; Hank turned fifty.
To celebrate Hank’s birthday we — Miss K, I, and he — convened at Taco Mac after work. I was bummed by a long, hard day of work capped off by horrible traffic that would keep me away from the TechCrunch Meetup at the Fox Theatre, but happy to try and help my boss and friend cope with turning the Big 5-0.
As I arrived at our table I looked over to the next one and saw Deposit Slit and Oops sitting there, apparently at some Atlanta Ski (And Snowboard!) Club get together. As I pointed them out to Hank he realized that he also knew someone sitting at that table.
Not five minutes later Hank saw someone he knows from the Georgia Aquarium, where he’s a volunteer, enter Taco Mac. And then in talking with her we found out that she is friends with one of the Taco Mac waiters that we’ve known since we first met him working at Chuy’s.
It may not be a small world, but at least for one night it was a small Taco Mac.
Same Old Saw
I need to find time to get exercise (daily preferably). When I return from Florida next week this desire will be one of my top missions. I’d say that I’d start this mission today, but I know that I won’t have the time until I return, or at least until I am down in Florida. Even though there are no gyms that I can go to while visiting my mother I will bring walking/running attire and try to make time to do something. Hey, maybe I should bring a camera with me as wellâ€¦.
Miss K has a one-way plane ticket to Seattle for this Saturday. In order to help her cope with leaving (which is much easier than coping with turning fifty I assume) we will be heading to Flip Burger for dinner and drinks tonight. Flip Burger is one of the Atlanta restaurants that she loves (we visited there for my birthday as well as hers) that she knows she can’t get in Seattle.
Ya Think He’s A Hasher?
While reading an article about a craft beer / food truck roundup in my old town of Huntsville, Alabama I saw mention of a food truck known as On-On Tacos.
Let’s face it, if you are a hasher and you hear the phrase “on-on” don’t you immediately think that the associated topic has ties to hashing? I think a quick look at On-On Tacos’ logo confirmed my suspicion. You’ll have to click on the link above to see what I am talking about because I could not figure out how to import their logo here.
Today’s Personal Project
Limit my food and alcohol intake.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – very, very fat
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – Looking at the prices being charged by food trucks I can’t help but think they are just a passing fad. Perhaps someday they will be listed on Crazy Fads. Oh wait, they already are!
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – will check again next week.
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 3 (3 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– have European trip plans in place, if not carved in stone
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
– publish an app to the iOS AppStore (new)
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon