Today’s mysterious condition is a feeling that I have something lodged in my throat. This feeling started late Friday night after eating some pistachio gelato and its “intensity” increased and faded throughout the weekend. I’ve actually experienced this before in the not-too-distant past. There has been nothing more disconcerting to me than the idea of being able to swallow (and breathe) so I’m considering scheduling an appointment with an ENT doctor. Know of a great one in Atlanta? One that you’d highly recommend?
I’m all-in with the green today, so maybe that’ll help.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Eat 1 food with prebiotics, such as whole-grain bread, bananas, berries, onions, or garlic.
Prebiotics are a kind of non-digestible nutrient that encourages the growth of good bacteria in the intestine. Some studies have shown that eating foods high in prebiotics can help prevent and treat tummy troubles such as gastroenteritis and problems with irritable bowel. They may also offer benefits to the immune system.
What about corned beef and cabbage, do they have prebiotics? What about beer?
Moderately Enjoyable Weekend
On Friday night I escaped the hell that was Friday afternoon rush hour by leaving the office at 4:00pm. I’m salaried and knew that I’d be returning for a few hours on Saturday so I didn’t much care if anyone scoffed at me. I joined Betsy (and dogs) and Gary for some Tasty China and beverages while we watched some “Between Two Ferns” and “Drunk History”; I enjoyed the latter more than the former. I gorged myself on Tasty China, beer, and some chocolate gelato (I think I may have a Talenti Gelato problem) before returning home.
Saturday morning I arose early still feeling the odd sensation that started late Friday night. I prepared myself for a post-Tasty China day and made my way to the office for awhile. After a few hours of unproductive typing I made my way over to Taco Mac where I had a couple of beers and some nachos (hoping to clear the pipes with these) and watch my beloved Gators eke out a Men’s basketball win over Tennessee. While sitting at Taco Mac watching the basketball game I realized that it had been six years, to the day, that a tornado wound its way through downtown, Cabbagetown, and near my backyard. Six years? My how time flies…
With the cool, rainy weather upon us on Sunday I stayed at home all day. During “breaks” from writing code I did my data backups, some house cleaning, some podcasts listening/watching, and made a loaf of bread in the bread machine (note to self: get some dough going for a future loaf baked in the oven). Though I did not take care of all of the chores I wanted to do yesterday I will say that the day was a productive one.
ITP Flickr Pic
“Who Is There?”
When I had painters at the house a few months ago (wow, December?) they conveniently painted over the peepholes in my doors. Yesterday I took some nail polish remover (yes, a single, straight man can and should have some of this on hand) and some Q-Tips and worked the paint off. Even though the front door’s peephole appears to be scratched moderately this may be the first time since I moved into the house fifteen years ago that I can see through these.
Whole Lotta FILMING Going On
Recently I have been seeing many tweets like these.
Anyone know what’s being filmed? I’ve passed the trucks a couple of times on my commute to work but have never seen a face that I recognize.
Hey look, I see at least one spelling error in those tweets!
Speaking of Twitter, I got caught by the “Wayne Knight (think “Newman on Seinfeld”) is dead” hoax because I read it via a tweet from someone who I never expected to fall for an internet hoax.
Today’s Personal Project
Get a workout in before going somewhere to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – worried
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – Where I’m from St. Patrick’s Day is (or was) a big deal. Perhaps Boston has a bigger celebration, but my heart belongs to NYC Saint Patrick’s Day Parade.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – Arg, I keep forgetting to jump on the scale
Foot Mileage – ~3.9 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 4 (4 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– have Austin CocoaConf trip plans in place (new)
– exercise no fewer than twenty days (new)
– ride my bike no fewer than five times (new)
– have European trip plans in place, if not carved in stone
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
– walk no fewer than 75 miles
– publish an app to the iOS AppStore
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon