I was feeling very drowsy yesterday afternoon. At first I blamed my lack of consistent sleep as well as the two beers I consumed at the Virginia Highland Taco Mac. Then I recalled that I had taken a Claritin (not sure if it was a Claritin-D) earlier in the day. I’m sure it was a work of all three that put me into that state.
This morning I am very sleepy even though I fell asleep (but woke up) early again.
Look for me to rely upon my old friend caffeine to get me through today.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Plan to flip your mattress over and check it for wear and tear.
Your mattress supports your back each night, and keeping it in shape sets you up for a good night’s rest. The weight of your body wears down the mattress unevenly, and over time, the pressure can lead to a saggy, lumpy mattress. Flipping and rotating it regularly helps keep your back (and the mattress) healthy.
Good idea that I should do more often. My mattress hasn’t gotten much wear and/or tear recently (or in the past ten years for that matter) because in the coldest part of the winter I started sleeping on my couch again — believe it or not it was warmer because it’s leather and holds the body heat better.
When I was informed that the woman who had been cutting my hair the past few years was leaving to go to another place I didn’t know what I was going to do. My first thought was to follow her, but then I recalled my desire to change my life drastically this year (not happening as much as planned yet) and decided to stay at the same place and switch stylists instead.
So far, so good, as I really like the young lady I’ve chosen and she seems to be very attentive to my needs. As an added bonus she’s also a relative-neighbor living not far from the ITP Estate. Pity that I cannot sell her my house because:
a) She doesn’t sound like she has the money to buy a house currently.
b) I’d get nothing but shitty haircuts once she started dealing with all of the issues at the estate.
It’s Probably Better That I Didn’t Know
After getting my hair cut I decided that I was going treat myself to dinner out (obviously something I do often, rarely around VaHi however). Given that it was Wednesday night and knowing that ITP-Reader Steve was not present, wandering over to George’s lacked some appeal. I thought about taking in Food Truck Wednesdays at the lot near CVS (I’d seen it advertised while walking through VaHi last Sunday), but instead decided that I wanted to continue my latest kick of eating as much barbecue as possible so I found my way to D.B.A Barbecue — a restaurant I have visited in the past.
I hemmed and hawed on what food to order, finally settling on “The Archie Bunker”, a pulled pork sandwich topped with mac-n-cheese (hey, I never said this was going to be healthy!), which was delicious. While eating my sandwich I heard the two guys behind me order the night’s special “All You Can Eat Ribs/Pork/Wings” for $15.
What. The. Fuck?!?!?!? Why wasn’t this mentioned to me?
It’s probably much better for my already-expanded waistline that I didn’t know about the night’s special because I am certain that I would have consumed at least three times the amount of calories over the already-calorie rich sandwich that I ate.
I wonder if I can make it back on a Wednesday night before this special goes away…
As I drove home through VaHi I also realized that I made the right decision in choosing not to eat at Food Truck Wednesdays in VaHi because the lot advertising the affair was completely devoid of food trucks. Certainly the weather cannot be blamed because there are fewer nights more ideal for outside mingling than last night. Has the fad passed? Of course if I still ran from George’s on Wednesday nights like I used to all those years ago I’d know these things.
Today’s Personal Project
Play some racquetball with the boss.
Book my airplane tickets to Brussels (I fell asleep before I did this last night)
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – sleepy, and just a bit “off” as if allergies or an illness are working on me
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – I’m a sucker for food blogs containing beautiful photography, Punctuated With Food scratches both of these itches.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – Arg, I keep forgetting to jump on the scale
Foot Mileage – ~0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 3 (3 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
- have European trip plans in place, if not carved in stone
- clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
- hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
- walk no fewer than 75 miles
2014 Goals: Measurable
- Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
- Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
- Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
- Completely run at least one 10k
- Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
- Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
- Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
- Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
- Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
- Eat smaller portions
- Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
- Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon
- “Chaos: Making a New Science” by James Gleick
- “What’s So Funny?: My Hilarious Life” by Tim Conway