(again with the repeated titles…)
I took the train into work this morning, you’ll read one of the reasons why later in this post (the Jackmobile is fine). I may have already waited too long to start riding the train as I started to break out into a sweat on the ride from Five Points to Dunwoody, and can only imagine the situation being much worse later today. Say what you want about ruing the planet by driving alone in a car for an hour, but I get complete climate control when I do.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Reflect on a time when your opinions or needs mattered more than those of the group.
Do you feel like you can talk to anyone about what you want? In a group, it’s not always clear when to be flexible and go with the crowd and when to ask for exactly what you want. Reflecting on the outcomes of the times when you were assertive can help you balance when to speak up and when to stay quiet to accommodate others.
My opinions always outweigh those of the group. This is my sure-fire plan for staying single, in addition to being attracted to women who want nothing to do with me of course.
I’m Not Hip To My Hips
Since Monday my hips, both sides, and hind quarters have periodically ached. I find standing and walking can sometime mitigate the pain (hence taking the train instead of sitting in a car for an hour) though I have to admit as I stand and write this I am aching. Imagine the day or two after you’ve returned to the gym after a long hiatus and did an entire workout of squats, this is how I feel.
My hope was that all my discomfort was caused by the back-to-back days of racquetball and walking, but never have aches and pains caused by these activities lasted this long. I even gave myself a guilt-free night off from any sort of exercise last night. My fear is that this is one of the side-effects of the medication I am taking, and will be taking for the next five weeks, for my throat.
If matters don’t improve by later today I will have to consult with the doctor to see what I should do. Ideally no one should have to choose between freely swallowing (which still hasn’t started for me since I just started taking the medication over the weekend) and constant near-dibilating pain.
It’s Third Wednesday!
And the illustrious emcee, not to be confused with MC, is gallivanting around San Francisco. I have scheduled a 7:15pm haircut across the street from George’s, but will probably not make the Third Wednesday scene. Part of me wants to make a return trip to DBA Barbecue (who have just overhauled their website) for the all-you-can-eat (even though they’ve now substituted rib tips for ribs), but the smarter part of me knows that I shouldn’t.
Today’s Personal Project
Get a haircut.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – hurting
Current Music – silence at the moment, but soon will be cranking up Spotify
Website Of The Day – My plan was to point you at Top Documentary Films so that you could watch “How Beer Saved The World” but when I went to play it today (for the first time) I received an error message “This video is not available in your country.” Anyone want to venture a guess as to why people pirate content?
Mode Of Transportation To Work – MARTA
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – meh
Foot Mileage – ~15.9 miles
Wheel Mileage – 0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 3 (3 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 1
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– have European trip plans carved in stone
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
– go away two of the weekends
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon
- “Chaos: Making a New Science” by James Gleick
- “What’s So Funny?: My Hilarious Life” by Tim Conway